 Off-Topic / Debate / 14607
Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:38:50 GMT

Hi all,

It looks like a 767 just went down in Queens New York about five miles from
JFK.  No one knows anything yet, but I bet this'll be our big news for the
day.  Hopefully it's a random fluke rather than just the first.

As Mark said, it was an American Airlines Airbus A300.  Current reports say the
plane came apart before crashing, and there may have been an explosion.  It
seems this was a mechanical failure, and NOT a terrorist act, but there is no
direct proof of either case.  At least one engin fell off and landed near a gas
station, someone said another fell on the porch of a house a few blocks from
the main crash site, and started a bad fire there.

It hit on a strip of land called the Rockaways, at 129th Street & Newport
Avenue.  It hit single homes and not apartments, so hopefully ground deaths
will be relatively few.

Jeff