 Off-Topic / Debate / 14618
Re: Bad News! Plane down in NYC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:09:40 GMT

Scott A wrote:

WHEN IS Thanksgiving? That is something I've always wondered about American
tradition - it is often portrayed in films as a Xmas-like festivity, with
the whole family reunited at meals. But the date is never mentioned, unlike
the 4th of July... Can you tell me more about it?

  Well, I can give you the date:  The fourth Thursday in November.
  That's how it works.  But as for the holiday itself, it's very
  steeped in lore--a lot of it contradictory--but in short it's
  time to "give thanks" for good fortune.  The context of the "First
  Thanksgiving" is really kind of twisted, when one thinks of it,
  but the idea is pretty good.

An Kuwaiti- American friend of mine always tells me that a holiday
atmosphere exists in many homes (and work places) in the USA from the week
before Thanksgiving to the week after Xmas. How true is that?

In our family there has always been a break. We usually didn't start the
Christmas preparations until a week or two before. Commercially there
certainly is no break (the holiday season for retail these days seems to
be all year, but certainly from September to December there is always
holiday stuff - when I was a kid, the Christmas retail season didn't
start until the day after Thanksgiving).

Frank