 Off-Topic / Debate / 14538
Re: I miss the old LUGNET...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:44:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mladen Pejic writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Johann writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Johann writes:

Topic Closed.

Who made you the judge of what topic is closed and what topic isn't? Topics
stop being posted about because all the participants stop.

No one made me the judge of anything. I was testing to see if you had the
willpower to let the discussion drop. I have my answer.

Well, let's see. Mladen slagged Amy. I called him on it but then let his
comebacks insults go.

Well, you slagged Eric too. You just have to prove that you are right, don't
you Larry? You just couldn't leave Amy's first message to Eric alone, could
you? You always have to add your two cents... Well, this is what it got you.

Mladen called me LUGNET's policeman. In another thread, I discussed why
people who care about LUGNET need to get actively involved in helping grow
and shape things, as well as actively involved in helping fix things when
they go awry.

Nah, I still think you are LUGNET's policeman. Hell, you spend more time here
than actually playing with LEGO!

Are you really saying you think he is? Or just that you think he thinks he is?

That's not being a policeman, it's just caring about how things go. Suz
can't be everywhere and can't clean up every mess. He hasn't addressed
whether he agrees that people DO need to care and take action, just insulted
me (not even the originator of the particular thread that started this
festuche) for caring about how things go.

Yes, I do think people need to point out mistakes made by posters, especially
if some cross-post excessively. No, I don't think it should be done in a rude
way, like Amy. No, I don't think more than one message pointing this out is
okay, like what you did Larry.

Mladen said I only wish I had the talent Eric does. You know as well as I do
that particular sort of trash talk is unacceptable behaviour and childish
besides. Go see what I said in response to that childish behaviour. Nothing.
Not a word. Didn't take any willpower to leave that one lie, did it?

I still stand by that statement.

This at a time when the originator of the widspread crosspost said "yes I
understand the issue now and will be more thoughtful about it in future". I
have no beef at all with Eric, and he has none with me either. Lots of other
people have said this is the correct direction... don't excessively cross
post. No response to the substantive stuff by Mladen, just a claim by him
that people are "utterly disgusted" with me. Which people? That's not the
way MY mail is running.

Well, even though I think Eric truly meant it, I also think he did it just to
get you off his back.

Also, you'd be suprised how much support for dissing you I got via e-mail! ;-P

Mladen hasn't justified the original slagging, hasn't justified his insults,
hasn't responded to the substantive issues, hasn't responded to the people
asking him to stop either.

Well, I'm sorry I can't "slag" people in the same elegant way as you Larry. If
I did, many people wouldn't react the way they did. I have to rely on my
childish insults.

So who doesn't have willpower?  Who's above the fray? Mladen owes a number
of people an apology for his behaviour in this thread, not just me.

Excuse me? No, you owe Eric an apology.

Here's a tip for YOU: Don't administer little "tests". Don't try to play
those games with me. I won't play. Smacks of social engineering. Shame on
you for playing, in fact.

Ooo... He's trying to sound tough...

Say what you mean and don't try to be a thread arbiter, deciding when things
are closed and when they aren't. Threads are closed when the people who are
in them are done. If you want to be helpful, do helpful things like helping
steer threads into the proper discussion venue, help calm people down, help
by giving thoughtful questions and thoughtful discussion and thoughtful
answers.

As many have told you before: take your own advice.

And if you have any influence whatever over Mladen (which I doubt anyone, or
anything actually does, except maybe the mirror), get him to apologise to
all the thread participants for his unruly behaviour, or at least just to
shut up.

Hmmm... Who has influence over you? I'd like to talk to that person... Maybe
he/she can pop that inflated head of yours.

:-o

At this point expecting him to participate in this discussion in a useful
way is perhaps not a reasonable expectation, so silence would be an
improvement over his insults.

How have participated in a useful way?

I for one am very interested in substantively participating in this
important discussion about how to make LUGNET a better place, but it's
difficult to participate in a meaningful way if what I get from another
participant is nothing but insults. That's not needed here, and it's not
welcome here either. Most people *are* in fact participating in a meaningful
and useful way.

Oh sure you are...

I agree with Larry that this is an "important discussion". What I can't
understand is why it is in this group?

Scott A

++Lar

Mladen Pejic, over and out!