 Off-Topic / Debate / 14578
Re: More on Moral Relativism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:29:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

Please, Mr Hanson, explain to me why that would be worse than several • thousand
innocent Americans (and others) dying in a terrorist attack, followed by a
protracted war against enemies unknown?

I believe that's exactly the point he's trying to make.

Probably. I just didn't really see the relevance of it to the topic at hand,
given most people, including moral relativists would probably take that view.

I posted this even
though I do not 100% agree with everything it says and this is one of the
areas where I'm a bit spongier. I am not too keen on wiretapping for the
sake of "seeing what people are up to" with no concrete reason for
suspicion, for example.

Yep, I definitely agree here. But back to the topic...

Q: If the "war against terrorism" is absolutely morally right, why wasn't it
declared 5 years ago? Ten years ago?

A: Public opinion. Before Sep 11 2001, it would have been political suicide.
So, even if the war itself is morally right, the choice to delay it was
political.

So where does that leave the moral stance of the US government[1]? Is it OK to
delay something which is morally right for political advantage, even though
that may result in actions which are morally wrong?

ROSCO

[1] Probably picking mainly on US here, because that's where UbL seems to be
focusing his attention. However, it applies to all governments supporting the
current action which could have acted sooner.