 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1693
1692  |  1694
Subject:
Hey, like, is anyone there? (was: When is Mac support coming for LEGO Mosaic?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 04:57:21 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hey, is anyone at LEGO Direct gonna step up to the place and field these
Mac questions?  I don't wanna sound rude, but the message below was posted
more than 2 weeks ago...still no reply from anyone at LEGO Direct.

I prolly wouldn't even notice, except that LEGO Direct has proclaimed that
it wishes to open a dialogue with us, the consumers, and has promised that
LEGO is listening and "will endeavor to be very responsive to [our] needs
and desires":

   http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=11596

I guess I have misunderstood the promise set forth in that missive?  After
making that original post, Brad Justus followed through many times to answer
stuff and relate directly to us, the consumers, just as he'd promised -- and
he proved it weren't no malarkey.  That set us up back then to kinda expect
a reply here and there to questions and stuff.

Do you think we could start again to get some responsive answers to our
needs and desires?  I don't think it's really out of place for us to ask,
since this was promised in no uncertain terms by none other than Brad Justus
Senior Vice President of LEGO Direct himself.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Lemme point to some of the more recent issues...

Some people are having trouble accessing shop.lego.com:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1685
   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1687
   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1689

My guess is they'd really really appreciate a quick "Thanks, we're working
on it."

Some people are dissatisfied with the shade of the light grey in the LEGO
Mosiac product:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1682
   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1684

I don't know what you could say, but it seems in any case to have fallen upon
deaf ears.

Someone had something really nice to say about the new instructions paper

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1668

and didn't get any kind of "thanks, we're glad you like it" feedback or
anything indicating that anyone at LEGO cares if we care.

Someone suggested that there be a "current promotions" page on lego.com:

   http://news.lugnet.com/promo/?n=677

but apparently no one at LEGO thinks this is a good idea?

Someone in Belgium is desperate to buy bulk parts from LEGO Shop At Home but
is unable to do so when LEGO only accepts Mastercard, Visa, and AmEx:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1647

Someone else heard that S@H Europe plans to introduce additional payment
options, but specific dates weren't known:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1652

Maybe a comment or two about this (important!) issue would be greatly
appreciated by European customers.

Looks like the speed-scrolling issue here was addressed:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1606

and I'm very happy to see a new "printable version" added:

   http://www.lego.com/info/printfairplay.asp

but I really wouldn't have known that anyone at LEGO had cared to fix it if
I hadn't proactively gone back and checked.

Very happy to see this corrected:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1595

but again, I really wouldn't have known that anyone cared if I hadn't
proactively gone back and checked myself.  If someone takes a couple seconds
to reply saying that it got fixed, that way I know it's because someone cared
and understood and that they weren't just fixing it because I screamed the
loudest and kicked and stomped.  In any case, thank you very much to whoever
fixed this!

Someone is seriously curious about the origin of set number 6500:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1588

At the very least, a simple "we'll have to dig through the archives in the
basement -- get back to you about that" or a simple "uh, we can't tell you"
response would at least acknowledge that someone at LEGO is listening to our
needs and desires...  :-)

Several people are still concerned about the slow load times on the S@H site:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1519

but there hasn't been a peep or any kind of acknowledgement from anyone at
LEGO Direct about this -- nothing to give us hope that it's being worked on.

Someone asked about brown bricks in December:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1512

It's a simple question, eh?  So why blow it off?  In fact, how can a company
which has stated that it wants to be responsive to our needs and desires
possibly even think of blowing it off?  If there's some reason that LEGO
Direct knows the answer, but can't (or won't) tell us, then please at least
dignify the question with *some* answer, even if it's to say that you can't
say.  We'd understand if that's what you had to say!  :-)

-=-=-=-=-=-

I realize that it must be really tempting to just sit back and soak up all
the comments offered here without really jumping in and participating in a
deep way, but please remember that these special feedback groups here that
Brad asked for weren't set up to give LEGO Direct a free ride without having
to give anything back.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Finally, I find this a bit puzzling...  LUGNET and De Bouwsteen and DixieLUG
are covered in the Los Angeles Times newspaper last week...

   http://www.latimes.com/business/cutting/ttimes/20010118/t000004859.html

...and we receive a fax photocopy in the mail and some kind words from one
very on-the-ball LEGO employee in Enfield, yet no official congrats or
acknowledgment of any kind from LEGO Direct.  I personally think that's
bizarre.  Did this honestly escape the attention of every single at LEGO
Direct?  (It couldn't possibly have.)  Doesn't anyone there think it was
neat?  I want to know what LEGO Direct thinks about it!  This ain't no one
way street anymore if LEGO Direct wants to live up to its name!

--Todd Lehman

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
I would like to purchase a LEGO Mosaic product using my iMac DV computer
running Netscape Communicator on MacOS 9.0.4.  However, when I get a few
steps in, I come to a page

   http://shop.lego.com/Mosaic/MosaicNotOnMac_s.asp?LangID=2057&ShipTo=US

containing a blunt message:  "The LEGO Brick-o-Lizer is not available for
use on Macintosh browsers at this time."

Why is this still the case two months after the product's introduction, and
when will the LEGO Brick-o-Lizer be available for use on Macintosh browsers?

It would be reassuring if LEGO added some text to that page to let its
Macintosh customers know that LEGO is working on Macintosh support for the
LEGO Brick-o-Lizer, hopefully with an estimated timeframe.

To ignore the Macintosh market for shrink-wrapped software products is one
thing, but to ignore it for a web-based software product is something much
worse.  It sends a very dark message to your Macintosh customers and makes
LEGO look extremely unprofessional.

The World Wide Web is all about freedom of choice of OS and browser.  Since
Java programs run on any platform, including the Macintosh, it shouldn't be
too difficult for LEGO to correct this unfortunate situation.

Thank you, and I eagerly await Mac support for LEGO Mosaic.

--Todd Lehman