 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1832
Re: Hey, like, is anyone there? (was: When is Mac support coming for LEGO Mosaic?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:35:45 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:

We are extremely happy to see success of everything LEGO, but some press
coverage that includes LUGNET is not necessarily worth congratulations.

Just to clarify, the article (entitled "LEGO Enthusiasts are Building
Connections Online, Brick by Brick") was a dedicated article about the
online LEGO community -- the first in a new, ongoing series in the LA Times
about online communities.  It's also the first article in the press that
I'm aware of that specifically acknowledges the online community as such.
(Most typical press coverage talks about, say, a few people and the things
they've built, rather than the whole community.)

And this community was made possible by Todd and Suzanne.  I know I owe them a
lot for enhancing the online experience of LEGO...much more than I owe TLC.  I
am glad that LUGNET is getting some press recognition and I would hope that TLC
is happy for LUGNET as well.

If you don't feel that's noteworthy, I understand, but it still seems to me
like a big step for TLC to get this kind of recognition in the press.

In the "LEGOs Online Dream" article, your quote "A lot of people are
worried that the Lego Company is spreading itself too thin" was shown by
the reporter to show that the leader of the largest online LEGO community
is not behind the TLC efforts.

It doesn't show that at all.  It shows concern.  And a lot of people *are*
worried that TLC is spreading itself too thin.  (BTW, that quote appeared
in the UK Guardian Unlimited article -- different from the LA Times article.
I agree with the implication that the UK Guardian Unlimited article failed
to flatter TLC.)

And I for one am glad that LUGNET is here to support the LEGO hobbyist rather
than as a means to pump up the company whose products we use in the hobby.  And
I hope that people can continue to express their OPINIONS on what TLC does or
doesn't do right without TLC getting upset about the amount of negative
messages they read on LUGNET.

I usually don't post in lugnet.lego.direct because I don't feel I have anything
particularly insightful to say to TLC.  But a lot of other people have
legitimate praise and complaint about the LEGO product and I hope they continue
to express themselves freely.

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu