 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1710
Re: Hey, like, is anyone there? (was: When is Mac support coming for LEGO Mosaic?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:20:22 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Sandlin writes:
Jake McKee at jacob.mckee@america.lego.com wrote:

I have read through Todd's post this morning and there are alot of questions
to answer. Some I have answers to, some I am waiting on answers, and some I
don't know, but will look into it.

OK, I appreciate this response.

I am extremely busy today, so I can tell you in advance, that it will take a
little while to answer all of them.

This is helpful to know as well. That way we don't expect to know
immediately and we know you're working on it.

However, in the meantime, please let me say that we are keeping up with your
needs and apologize if our reaction times aren't immediate. It is often time
consuming to sift through hundreds of posts in order to get to the meat of
certain issues.

It is? How much time would it take for one person at LEGO Direct to scan
only the lugnet.lego.direct newsgroup? 15 minutes once a day? There aren't
hundreds of posts to this particular newsgroup every day. It gets busy
sometimes, usually after someone stirs up discussion,  but many of those
posts are "me toos" and can easily be scanned and skipped.

Or do you mean that someone reads all posts to LUGNet all the time?

I really don't feel that we have ever stopped responding to
the posts, rather have missed some of the posts due to the large amount of
posts or are currently working on getting answer or solutions for you.

You don't? How do you explain the long list of posts that have no responses?
Not so much as a "we're working on it" or "it's fixed."

If someone is working on getting responses, it shouldn't take but a moment
to post a quick note saying that someone is working on it, or that a problem
has been fixed.

I know that any response I have to this issue will generate a large amount
of discussion, and as such, I want to make sure that I respond appropriately
to all concerns brought forth. As such, please bear with me if it takes a
little time to address these questions, comments, praises and concerns.

Jake, is it possible that someone suggested that LEGO Direct monitor LUGNet
without truly recognizing the amount of time it would take? I work in a
corporation as well, and sometimes I get requests from managers who honestly
don't know and underestimate how long it takes to do a task.

Could it be that it was promised that someone would keep in touch without
truly understanding the scope of the promise?

I'm sorry to sound doubtful, but you must consider the evidence at hand.
newsgroup, or is it something someone is expected to do in their free time?

If it's the latter, then I can certainly understand the time constraint
issue.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin

     The last time I posted a message about the lego group's responses,
people replied back to me with foul language (lugnet members, not the lego
group).  But I'll try placing my two cents worth again anyhow.
     I think Mark's post is pretty accurate.  It really dosen't take a long
time to find something to reply to.  The lego group has made a commitment
here that is easy to keep...talk to us.  It is a commitment that can be
taken home for a few minutes.  Afterall, the lego group is in an industry
that requires interaction with its consumers (maybe this wasn't the case
several years ago, but times have changed).
     I work in retail.  I dislike having to cater to customers who don't
understand how busy I am.  But it's my job.  Officially the customer comes
first, then I still have to get my work done on time.  I can't take
rainchecks home with me and have them waiting for the customer the next day.
I actually have to stop in the middle of my project, search around the store
to make sure an item is out-of-stock, then fill out the raincheck and
sometimes have to go look for the customer because they decided to continue
their shopping...if I could say "I'm really busy right now, but if you would
come back tomorrw I'll have your raincheck ready"...oh man, my job would be
so much easier!
     All you need is a few minutes on the computer and your customers are
mostly satisfied.  At home or at work.
     Dealing with customers is a rough buisness, but the customers here on
lugnet are offering sound advice on how to improve your product, fix gliches
on your website (there's several tech wizards on lugnet offering there
advice for free!now those are customers to keep), and continually buy your
product even when it seems like everyone here is doing nothing but
complaing.  Even now, I'm sure dozens of lugnet members are out there buying
your product.
     Twenty-four hours of the day, seven days a week, people are buying your
product.  The lego group is getting paid around the clock, a few minutes of
your time every couple of days is not asking too much, even if you have to
spend those few minutes on your computer at home.
     We are not all naive.
     Our advice,
     Our assistance,
     Our gratitude,
     all comes with a price.
     Every member of lugnet is a poster that unofficially advertises your
product.  The lego group owes us.  All we ask is that you help us help you.

     That's it.  I would appreciate the lugnet members not replying with
foul language.  Those concerned know who they are.

~Kirby~