 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1850
Re: Hey, like, is anyone there? (was: When is Mac support coming for LEGO Mosaic?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 05:32:00 GMT

Just thought I'd comment on one small thing:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
I simply said that I found it puzzling that LUGNET, De Bouwsteen, and
DixieLUG were covered in the LA Times and that we received a fax photocopy
in the mail from and some kind words from a LEGO employee in Enfield, yet
no official congrats or acknowledgment of any kind from LD, not through
email, not publicly.

If I'm not mistaken, the dutiful employee from Enfield is probably part of
our PR department -- and like any good PR department, it's part of their
function to follow up on news stories in the manner that you described. The
PR department is separate from LEGO Direct for various good reasons -- but
should LEGO Direct also have offered congrats and so forth? It's a little
redundant, but I suppose it couldn't have hurt... quite the opposite,
perhaps. That may be the best point that Todd brought up by starting this
thread: a little bit of communication can go a long way. I for one didn't
appreciate that fully beforehand.

I believe the suggestion was that, when someone posts a friendly question
about, for example, brown bricks...

  http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1512

...that if there was some reason LD knew the answer but couldn't say, it
would be nice to dignify the question with some answer (rather than ignoring
it, intentionally or unintentionally), even if that answer is simply to say
that LD couldn't say.  (Key difference here being saying you can't say vs.
saying you're working on it.)

Actually I think in this case, the answer was more like "we don't have any
idea yet." Which you have to admit is not all that useful of a post -- but
is that better than total silence? Personally, I like to at least to a
little bit of investigating, if I have time, before posting... instead of
just saying "I don't know."

However, the Spring 2001 Shop at Home catalog should be out soon, and may
help answer some questions.

Tomas Clark
LEGO Direct