 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1857
Re: Hey, like, is anyone there? (was: When is Mac support coming for LEGO Mosaic?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 17:21:03 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Tomas Clark writes:
Just thought I'd comment on one small thing:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
I simply said that I found it puzzling that LUGNET, De Bouwsteen, and
DixieLUG were covered in the LA Times and that we received a fax photocopy
in the mail from and some kind words from a LEGO employee in Enfield, yet
no official congrats or acknowledgment of any kind from LD, not through
email, not publicly.

If I'm not mistaken, the dutiful employee from Enfield is probably part of
our PR department -- [...]

Well, no, actually, it was a Non-PR-department employee acting on their own
behalf.  A good guess, though.  BTW, it's interesting that you should mention
the PR department; one other thing I said two posts up was (I'm reinserting
this here)...

To clarify...  What I found puzzling is it was an employee in Enfield who
interfaced with the community about it, rather than LD, which is part of
LD's mission.

...and that leads me to the conclusion that perhaps I'm confused about LD's
purpose.  When LEGO Direct was originally started several years ago and had
the title LDMI (short for _L_EGO _D_irect _M_arketing, _I_nc.), it's purpose
was different than the current LEGO Direct.  Now that LEGO Direct is
interfacing directly with LEGO customers, how do (or don't) LEGO Direct's
responsibilities overlap with PR?  I imagine there must be some amount of
overlap, but I would also kind of guess that PR deals with large issues of
"the public" (e.g., the masses of consumers and the media/press) while LD
is able to deal with more focused issues.  How close is that to reality?

Actually I think in this case, the answer was more like "we don't have any
idea yet." Which you have to admit is not all that useful of a post -- but
is that better than total silence? Personally, I like to at least to a
little bit of investigating, if I have time, before posting... instead of
just saying "I don't know."

I know what you're saying -- and I totally agree -- but I think the answer to
the larger question can only be known by asking the person who asked about the
brown bricks -- i.e., did they begin to feel ignored after two weeks had
passed, or did they not really expect to get a reply?  It's now been six
weeks and the post[1] still doesn't have a reply, although Jake mentioned
that Brad may address the issue in an upcoming post, which is at least some
acknowledgment of the question.  But maybe the original poster of the question
never saw that.  Key thing here I think is timing.  I'm sure no one expects
(at least I hope not) a reply from LD within hours, and I'd expect a few days
on something like this if the answer wasn't already known or was known but
wasn't written down as something that could be disclosed.  I think after one
or two weeks have passed, an answer such as "we don't have any idea yet"
actually would be a useful post -- insomuch as it reinforces Brad's original
vision of endeavoring to be responsive to our needs and desires, rather than
diminishing that vision by dropping the ball.

That said, let me add that I think the recent increase in participation from
LD is a clear indication that LD is growing and will, over time, gradually be
more and more able to carry out Brad's vision.  It will just take time.

However, the Spring 2001 Shop at Home catalog should be out soon, and may
help answer some questions.

Exxxxxcellent.  :-)

--Todd

[1] http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=1512