Subject:
LDraw.org Bylaws - new proposed clauses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 15:46:28 GMT

Thanks to everyone who has been participating in the bylaws discussion. These are important issues, and in my view the opinions put forth have been by and large well thought out and productive.

I think we’ve covered the lion’s share of the possible arguments here. I also think that by and large the majority favors provisions for disclosure and accountability versus a hard line drawn. So, let’s try to draw up this discussion and reach a point where we can move forward.

I propose these two blocks of provisions be added to the draft bylaws; a new Section 6.02 (moving all sections behind back one number), stating the terms for LEGO Employees on the Steering Committee, and a new Section 6.04 (also bumping sections back a number) providing for the removal of officers from the StC. Reference v.2 of the LDraw.org Bylaws Draft to see how these fit into the whole picture.

Please feed back on these proposed additions (see below). As always, if you disagree, please propose alternate wording when you reply - this will help keep us moving forward.

-Tim

Section 6.02: Eligibility for LEGO Company Employees
Because of potential conflicts of interest, employees of the LEGO Company, their subsidiaries and strategic partners shall be subject to a special set of requirements to be eligible for service on the Steering Committee.

Subsection 6.02(a) Full Public Disclosure
Upon nomination, the individual’s employment status shall be publicly declared. Employment by the LEGO Company does not preclude nomination, provided full and up front disclosure of status is given to the community through accepted channels (ie. common discussion groups, LDraw.org) where nominations are made.

All official public postings listing nominees, as well as the final ballot, shall attach a footnote or other clearly visible reference to the nominee’s name, indicating the person is employed by the LEGO Company. This reference shall list their title, and briefly describing the responsibilities and powers the position holds. The information page on the LDraw.org web site listing Steering Committee members once elected shall also include the aforementioned references.

Subsection 6.02(b) Accountability and Review Process
Employess of the LEGO Company elected to the Steering Committee shall be held to a different standard than Steering Committee members not employed by LEGO.

Should impropriety on the part of a LEGO employee serving on the Steering Committee be suspected, fellow members of the Steering Committee shall by no less than unanimous decision be authorized to conduct a review of said employee’s actions directly relating to LDraw.org business. The employee shall be given due process and the opportunity to defend his or her actions. If the review panel deems impropriety they may by no less than unanimous decision report their findings to the Membership via accepted channels. The Membership may then move to remove the officer in question using the removal provisions in Section 6.04.

Specific procedures relating to the Accountability and Review Processes shall be determined by the first elected Steering Committee, and documented in the Policies and Procedures document.

Section 6.04: Removal of Officers from the Steering Committee
Officers may not be removed from the Steering Committee except for due cause. If an Officer is absent from three consecutive votes or a total of 5 votes in any calendar year for reasons that the Committee fails to declare sufficient, his or her resignation shall be deemed to have been tendered and accepted.

If serious, documented allegations of impropriety on behalf of a Steering Committee member are made, the Active Membership may move to hold a vote to remove the offending individual from office. A vote will be held once fifteen percent of the Active Membership have called for a vote. A Steering Committee member may be removed from office by a simple majority of the total Active Membership.

Any Officer that has been removed may not be re-elected by the Active Membership for a period of at least one year.