Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Draft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:56:29 GMT

I put my reply at the top on purpose...

I think we're all agreed on the intent but I'm not sure we have the wording
nailed. "professional" is a harder word to define and agree on the definition
of, than "student" or "part-time"...

So while I'm OK with professional I am leery that it might cause trouble at some
later date... assure me it won't (and this thread is evidence of intent, in my
view, and I value intent highly) and I'm cool.

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

It does make sense to me to distinguish between people who are working on
strategies in TLG, but I don't know how to identify them - except by asking.
People in this category may not neccessarily be employed by TLG any affiliated
or subsidiary company, but it is probably the best text we can come up with.

   No professional employee of The LEGO® Company or any affiliated or
   subsidiary company shall be eligible to be a Steering Committee Officer.

Your reasoning is sound and your edits seem reasonable to me at first read.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a part-time retail employee of the LEGO
Company, and a full-time student. I'm not involved in any strategy decisions as
a part of my job description.

I don't see a conflict of interest were I to stand for election to the Steering
Committee in my current job. I also don't see myself moving into a position
that's strategy-related within the year term of a StC officer.

I believe the above clause Jacob edited is in the best interest of the
community. I'd also like to stand for election to the StC. I hope my employment
poses no conflicts with that - do you think it does?

I'd like to see the clause written to protect the organization, but also, I
don't want to be barred from serving on the StC merely because my checks come
from LEGO. Thoughts?

Play well,

Jacob

PS: Thanks to Tim for handling the editing of the document.

Thanks. Also, one big thing I totally screwed up and left out of the original
post -- the basis for these drafts is the ILTCO bylaws, so many thanks to the
ILTCO execs for allowing their use, and thanks to Larry, who was an integral
part of drafting the original documents and editing these. It gave a much needed
jump-start to the drafting!

-Tim