Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Draft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 07:49:18 GMT

I think this is a good thing and would really turn LDraw into a machine that gets more things done. I’ve been heavily involved with Mac OS X Labs Org (http://www.macosxlabs.org) for the last year. The steering committee for that group has had weekly conference calls and have met with Apple representatives and has drawn contributions from some of the most technical Mac users at Universities. There is no budget for the group, but Apple pays for yearly meetings, donated a server, and some other expenses (like free t-shirts given out at the O’Reilly Mac OS X conference http://www.cafeshops.com/macosxlabs), and some 3rd parties have contributed software (http://www.webcrossing.com). But since the main point is for everyone to publish what they do in the normal course of their job, there doesn’t really need to be a org budget.

This is funny, but macosxlabs.org is credited for creating a faster adoption of Mac OS X in universities than the other Mac user market. In fact, I heard Microsoft has copied us and created a similar grass roots org for Windows.

My point is that having a well defined organization with a built in mechanism for discussion and making command decisions is an awesome thing to have.

--

Concering the bylaws...

I don’t think there are going to be fees, but having the wording there, just in case in the future that is desired, it is good to have the wording up front. And with my work at other non-profit orgs, having a budget is pretty neato... and things tend to happen faster if you have a budget. But a yearly accounting and audit would have to be public I think (I don’t really know what I am talking about, I have just seen some non-profit orgs do that).

I think one year is too short a term for steering committee members. Are there that many LDraw people who would be able to be a steering committe member? That is like 100 people for 10 years (and hasn’t it almost been 10 years since LDraw first came out?). And what about serving multiple terms? I don’t remember seeing anything about that (maybe I skimmed over that?).

I would like to see an animation SIG.

James