Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Drafts: Call for Public Discussion and Consensus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:29:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Dan Boger wrote:
I object, for the record.  I think the point isn't if someone can
influence TLC policy, but if they can influence LDraw's policy.  In my
optinion, if you get a paycheck from LEGO, you might have a conflict
of interest.

Why not turn the clause 180 degrees?

If you get your paycheck from Lego, you can only be eligible after community
discussion/approval?

I suppose being payed by MegaBloks, or any other clone maker would need the
same treatment.

I agree with this.

It's a tough issue, but people working for Lego (in any capacity) will
tend do things, say things, or NOT say things to keep that paycheck
coming.  If more bad decisions like the color change force Lego into
bankrupcy, or cause it to look more like clone bricks than the clones
themselves, I'd like to see ldraw.org able to make the move to
whatever Lego-like toy is best.  I don't think that's likely with Lego
employees running the show at ldraw.org.  Remember, Jake may not be
high up the corporate ladder, but he managed to get a significant
number of LDRAW developers to sign an NDA not too long ago.  Was that
his idea, or did it come from above?  The point is, even the lowest
level employees are under the influnce of the folks who sign their
paychecks. I think we should try very hard to avoid any hint of that
sort of influence in the future leadership of ldraw.org.

That said, I'm not opposed to making special exceptions when warrented.
Given Tim's history with ldraw.org, this is a reasonable case for an
exception.  But the exception should be publicly noted, voted on, and
periodicly up for review.

Don