Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Drafts: Call for Public Discussion and Consensus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:05:12 GMT

Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:

  "No professional employee of The LEGO? Company or any
   affiliated or subsidiary company shall be eligible to
   be a Steering Committee Officer."

Is the ambiguity in the word "professional"?  Ok, so if
we say "No employee of TLC..." does that correct the
problem?

itlug.org (italian lego® users group) has solved this
problem in a (you might call it radical) simple way.
people who pay their bills with money they got from the
company can't get a ruling position, ‘cos any kind of
employees can't even be members: we or them.

That (both the itlug and Dan's solutions) is definitely a
nice and easy solution.

The problem here is that Tim would like to keep his job at
LEGO and have a go at being on the LDraw.org steering
committee.

Since I don't know what Tim's position at LEGO is, I can't
say if I find that a problem or not.  And I think it is
really more in LEGO's interest than in LDraw.org's interest
to formalise that LEGO doesn't control LDraw.org.  After
all; what damage could LEGO do by having somebody on the
LDraw.org steering committee?

But if the general view in Europe is that LEGO staff
shouldn't be allowed to be members of the LUG's, then I can
see that we have a problem to solve.  Do you think it would
be acceptable if LEGO staff was allowed as non-voting
members?

Jacob
--
"The current state of knowledge can be summarised thus:
In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded."