Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Draft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:31:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, James Reynolds wrote:

   My point is that having a well defined organization with a built in mechanism for discussion and making command decisions is an awesome thing to have.

Well put!

I think one year is too short a term for steering committee members. Are there that many LDraw people who would be able to be a steering committe member? That is like 100 people for 10 years (and hasn’t it almost been 10 years since LDraw first came out?). And what about serving multiple terms? I don’t remember seeing anything about that (maybe I skimmed over that?).

Typically if there is no explicit bar, the interpretation is that multiple terms are OK. That could be added if it’s really unclear.

As to the term length, ILTCO went with 2 year terms for the executive committee for reasons similar to those you allude to. Now is the time to decide if it needs to be changed. I’m not opposed to longer terms for the Ldraw.org organization but I’m not convinced we have such a dearth of candidates or major continuity problems looming that it’s needful, so I’d be fine either way.