Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Drafts: Call for Public Discussion and Consensus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 01:35:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 07:16:41PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
I think before we take the step of creating a poll, we should allow
this discussion here to flesh itself out and see if we come to a
consensus. That process has worked well before. No one except you has
explicitly disagreed to omitting the clause Larry suggested - so I
think its good to ask outright - does anyone else disagree? Does
anyone care to offer another solution?

I object, for the record.  I think the point isn't if someone can
influence TLC policy, but if they can influence LDraw's policy.  In my
optinion, if you get a paycheck from LEGO, you might have a conflict of
interest.

Ok, but at what point does a conflict of interect exist?  Do we really need to
exclude every worker simply because membership from a small subset poses a
conflict of interest?

I strongly object to a blanket exclusion. I do not believe every position would
pose a conflict of interest.

Here is a thought: What about instead of having an exclusionary clause, require
that if someone is employed by TLC, there be disclosure of that person's
employment status on LDraw.org x amount of time prior to the election? Require a
footnote to be added to the final list of nominees and/or ballot that notes who
is employed by TLC, what their title is, and a summary of their responsibilities
and powers.

Make measures to ensure the community is reasonably informed, and then let the
community decide on a case-by-case basis who they trust to lead LDraw.org.

-Tim