Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Drafts: Call for Public Discussion and Consensus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:07:14 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Dan Boger wrote:

I object, for the record.  I think the point isn't if someone can
influence TLC policy, but if they can influence LDraw's policy.  In my
optinion, if you get a paycheck from LEGO, you might have a conflict
of interest.

Why not turn the clause 180 degrees?

If you get your paycheck from Lego, you can only be eligible after community
discussion/approval?

I suppose being payed by MegaBloks, or any other clone maker would need the
same treatment.

All,

I hope you don't mind if I chime in on the discussion. I just caught up on the
thread, and there are a lot of very good things being tossed around.

Personally, I tend to like the idea of Larry's to exclude any mention of LEGO
employee exclusion in the bylaws and have any conflict of interest be a campaign
issue. Now I know that some of you are saying "of course you'd say this", but
stick with me.

There are MANY possible conflicts of interest (CoI) that can occur in this (or
any) situation. Wouldn't a MEGABlocks rep have just as many CoI issues (if not
more)? Or what about someone who works for a 3D rendering company? Or Microsoft?
Or any number of other companies. Point is, there are MANY potential CoI out
there in there.

Professional groups like we are talking about are always made up of people in
related professional fields. You WANT that experience and knowledge in the
group. If there is a clear method to kick out people who have acted on their CoI
and there is full disclosure in the election process, that seems to cover all
possibilities.

But I would also toss out this thought: Connection is not necessarily CoI.
Meaning, just because someone on the LDraw StCom is a LEGO employee it doesn't
automatically equate to a red flag. There can be a great many good things that
could come from it. You want as many internal LDraw advocates. You want
employees to be excited about LDraw. Imagine if one of the guys who does CAD for
LEGO wanted to join the LDraw group. Wouldn't you want that kind of experience
and input from someone like that?

As I have more and more success internally getting people excited about the
AFOLs, their work, their creations, and their events, many people are starting
to think about joining clubs or discussions online. Of course, there is still a
certain fear that they will be run out of town on a rail if they introduce
themselves, but that's changing. In the next few years, I think you will start
to see many more employees come out into the community to participate as the
fans they are. Do you want to turn away their input, effort, and enthusiasm
simply because they work for LEGO? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on the person,
their mindset, their trust factor, and a ton of other things. This is why I come
back to the "make it a campaign issue" idea.

(All that said, I personally have absolutely no problem with LEGO employees
being excluded from voting positions if that's the decision.)

On a separate, but highly related note:

I think that there is a perception or belief that anyone who works at the LEGO
Company only has one thing in mind: selling/marketing.

Sure, employees put bread on the table based on product sales. But I think it's
very important to understand that my colleagues don't look at community as
simply a sales channel. They aren't dying to find ways in to "hard sell".

I've just come back from a 10 day trip to Europe to talk to colleagues about the
who/what/where/why of the adult community. The key message that I've been
sending out (for more than 3 years) is "Everyone goes home happy". If both you
(the fans) aren't happy, or we aren't happy, then the arrangement isn't working.

In the 3+ years that TLC/Direct has been working with and communicating with
fans, I can't recall a single incident when we've tried to "use" the community
solely for our own gain. That's not the goal. The goal is to help establish,
support, and grow a long term, ongoing relationship between members of the LEGO
Community. (The LEGO Community, in our vision at least, consists of anyone
interested in LEGO)

Anyway, enough rambling for today. Hopefully my thoughts have been of some help!
Thoughts?

Jake
---
Jake McKee