Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Drafts: Call for Public Discussion and Consensus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:37:38 GMT

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 04:47:50AM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
I object, for the record. I think the point isn't if someone can
influence TLC policy, but if they can influence LDraw's policy. In
my optinion, if you get a paycheck from LEGO, you might have a
conflict of interest.

While I agree that someone in that situation might have such a
conflict of interest, then again,they might not.

It's pretty far fetched to see how someone in Tim's position could
possibly have any conflict of interest (except in a good way for
LDraw, and even that's a stretch)

I'll repeat the pragmatic metric I'm using here. If the wording we
arrive at here excludes Tim from eligibility, given his current
employment status, it's unacceptable to me, and I would vote against
ratification.

So let's separate the issues.  I think we all agree that a LEGO employee
should not be in the SC (if only for the appearance of impropriety).
If you want to make a special case for Tim, or make a more generic way
of allowing exceptions, we can talk about that.  But does anyone
disagree that there _might_ be a conflict, and that LDraw would probably
be better off selecting others for the SC?  Again, not specifically Tim,
but Joe Random LEGO Employee?

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com