Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Drafts: Call for Public Discussion and Consensus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:33:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

   The problem here is that Tim would like to keep his job at LEGO and have a go at being on the LDraw.org steering committee.

it’s not the point if Tim has/has not a conflict of interest or is/is not eligible to be a Steering Committee Officer. I posted the comment just to show that the membership of LEGO employees in fan clubs is an issue and it has to be solved independently of a mild or strict solution.

My second reply to this post - this time I’m addressing the issue from a personal perspective, rather than the less partial process-oriented viewpoint in my previous post.

I am concerned that a blanket provision to ban TLC employees will exclude me by definition from being eligible for office on the Steering Committee.

I have spent the better part of a year talking with key community players and shaping the future of LDraw.org. With the (invaluable) help of developers and professionals I guided discussion for the LSC Proposal and saw that body come to fruition. Now, with the (invaluable) help of people like Larry, Dan Boger, Jacob, Kevin Clague (to name a few), I’ve guided the proposed bylaws to become a document that’s ready for ratification.

I’ve been intimately involved with the LDraw.org project since its inception five years ago (the site went live July 7, 1999, and work began on it early 99). I’ve worked to promote the LDraw hobby/community at many fan conventions and public events. I’ve forged relationships across the community, inside the company, and with outside organizations that have brought more attention to LDraw.

I like to think I’ve inspired more people to get involved with the LDraw community/hobby also. Whether or not that’s true, you be the judge :-)

I have the best interest of the hobby at heart - I’ve consistently strove to further the community and facilitate better communication between participants. That hasn’t changed one bit since I started talking to customers about LEGO toys at one of the Company’s stores, and deriving a meager paycheck from the experience.

I think it would be a shame if I was disallowed from standing for election to the StC because of my employment status. I believe I bring value to our cause as a leader in the LDraw community, and I believe firmly that my current job presents no conflict. Also, should I advance at TLC to a position that does present conflict, I pledge to be proactive about informing the community/org membership, and I will act appropriately to protect it - even if that means stepping down, or not standing for re-election.

-Tim

(my views do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer)

I for one certainly don’t doubt your devotion to the hobby, nor do I doubt that you will do anything but behave with the utmost integrity as a member of the committee. However, despite this it does concern me that there is nonetheless a potential for a conlict of interest. As was said previously, it’s less to do with what influence you have over TLC than what potential influence the company could have over Ldraw, and I see that potential existing irrespective of the job description.

So this leads me to my question. Is it really necessary for you to be a member of the steering committe for you to be able to continue the good work that you are doing and will presumably continue to do in the future? I’m not conversant in all the inner workings of Ldraw.org, but it seems to me that committee member or not, when you speak on an issue, people listen and give what you say serious consideration. Will not being a member of the committee somehow preclude this from happening?

I understand that you want to be a member, and that many other agree, and indeed that it would probably bring no harm to Ldraw if you were, but is it necessary? It seems to me that this whole discussion is centred around the issue of whether or not you in particular will be precluded from the committee. Would it be so bad to not be a member, but still an active participant?

Cheers,

Allister