Re: LDraw.org Bylaws Drafts: Call for Public Discussion and Consensus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 07:10:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:

   Hi Allister -
Thanks for that clarification. Actually, I was at a momentary loss for how to approach the answer, but now after thinking it through I have something to say.

I would hope that whoever is elected to the Steering Committee would hear input from the membership and consider/judge it fairly. That is what I plan to do should I be elected. Its a community organization, and the leadership should by nature be open to input from the community.

That said, the Steering Committee is by design a decision-making and direction-setting body for the organization. The leaders are chosen by the community to serve their interests. I believe my central role in the LDraw.org project makes me a vital piece of the puzzle for kicking off the actual organization. No, the world will not explode if I am not elected, but I am confident in my vision [1] for the future of LDraw and don’t feel it would be adequately served without my holding a seat there. Whether you (all) are confident in my ability to serve on the committee is a question only you can answer. :-)

<personal view>
A more personal feeling perspective is this - I’ve coordinated much of the LDraw.org project (with a lot of invaluable help from great people!) since the idea’s conception in early 1999. Now I’ve channeled the project to the point where we are ready for a structured organization. Were I to be disallowed categorically from serving as a formal leader of this which I’ve been instrumental to for so long, it would be a great disappointment - and in a way it would be a slap in the face.
</personal view>

Does this answer your question?

Perfectly. Thanks.

As I said originally, I don’t doubt your integrity or devotion to ldraw.org, TLC employee or not. I was just hypothesising to myself about what a conflict of interest might entail and thinking, perhaps unreasonably, that pressure could be brought to bear on you by the company that may force you to choose between ldraw and your continued employment in a job you obviously enjoy. I’m sure you’d agree that’d be a very difficult position to be in. In practical term, that’s probably unlikely. TLC seems to be quite supportive of ldraw.

On a personal note, ldraw was pivotal in bringing me out of my dark age, and for that I thank you and the rest of the ldraw crew. I’d vote for you ;)

Cheers,

Allister