Subject:
Show report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 03:40:29 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Just a short note to let everyone know that our first show was a success. A
few minor glitches but overall everything went pretty well, or at least it
was going well when I had to leave for the airport.

We went through most of 600 handouts, each of which had www.lugnet.com and
the S@H number on them as well as a bunch of other stuff including the PNLTC
train parts diagram... (full sheet doublesided, thanks to several folks for
sharing, Scott S and I put together a "best of the best" available on request).

We got second place in the popularity contest, which coupled with the
appearance money should have covered all the expenses Chris (and a few
others) incurred. We were on the 6 and 11 o'clock news on one of the local
Detroit stations.

Our 10 gate "new Metro Terminal" was completed AT THE SHOW by Chris in a
demonstration of his building expertise. It's massive, and it drew a LOT of
favorable comment. It got done a lot faster than the real terminal at DTW
will! AND, we had an Airport Shuttle that was actually being used as an
Airport Shuttle, it went THROUGH the terminal building on its route. This
area featured the ONLY non LEGO of the whole show, Chris built an Air Force
1, complete with stretch limo, security team, and other aircraft waiting to
take off (but no Monica) which used Best-Lock stickers for the presidential
seal and "President of the United States" lettering along the fuselage.

We learned a few lessons, but encountered no major disasters. (I don't count
cars of my = bullet train hitting the floor, breaking into constituent parts
and being reassembled as "major" disasters... that happened twice. Note to
future shows, don't have track quite so close to the edge of the table!)

Thanks to all who helped work. I'll have some show pictures up on Brickshelf
hopefully tomorrow from a faster connection than this NYC hotel dialup...

Another plus mark in the "Lego Train clubs put on reliably crowd pleasing
shows" ledger with GATS, which helps make it easier for the next club and
the next show.

John Neal, pay attention, another 8 wider came out of the closet and showed
his stuff off on the layout... :-) Beautiful Big Boy and GP30 models! We had
to move a few things (like an entire monorail pier) to get clearance but it
was a neat sight. (yes I got pics of it and the GP30)

Kudos to Kai, Peter, Scott, Lester, Sandy, and especially Chris Leach who
was the driving force in pulling it all together. Thanks also to Steve Bliss
and the others who loaned a few items, and a big thanks to Brad J and LD for
support.

++Lar