 Trains / Train Organizations / 1013
1012  |  1014
Subject:
Baseplate vs Brick landscape (was: Re: Show report)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:49:21 GMT

Kevin Loch wrote:

Actually the whole layout was very well done.  I have to say, I prefer the look
of the "baseplate" landscape to the "brick" landscape.  There is something
about the "brick" land style that is just too distracting.  For some reason the
baseplate-based system just looks more convincing.  I know that is
counterintuitive but it's what I see.  Maybe it's because real live landscapes,
even hilly ones are essentially flat when viewed from most angles of elevation.
Brick based landscapes have too many "rectangular fractal" components, both
horizontal and vertical.  Maybe that's what it is.

Interesting analysis, Kevin.  I am curious, would you then advocate using, say a
mountain, which is non-LEGO and made out of paper mache?  On a related note:  it
seems to me that TLC used to make their dioramas out of bricks more than they do
today.  Now, it's mostly computerized backdrops.  I always thought that it was due
to cost considerations-- I never thought it might be because someone *preferred*
it that way.  I wonder how others feel?  Others?

-John