 Trains / Train Organizations / 1012
Re: Show report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:18:38 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Our 10 gate "new Metro Terminal" was completed AT THE SHOW by Chris in a
demonstration of his building expertise. It's massive, and it drew a LOT of
favorable comment. It got done a lot faster than the real terminal at DTW
will! AND, we had an Airport Shuttle that was actually being used as an
Airport Shuttle, it went THROUGH the terminal building on its route. This
area featured the ONLY non LEGO of the whole show, Chris built an Air Force
1, complete with stretch limo, security team, and other aircraft waiting to
take off (but no Monica) which used Best-Lock stickers for the presidential
seal and "President of the United States" lettering along the fuselage.

The airport was awesome!  Now only if they offered gray 2x2 tiles in 100
packs... :)

Actually the whole layout was very well done.  I have to say, I prefer the look
of the "baseplate" landscape to the "brick" landscape.  There is something
about the "brick" land style that is just too distracting.  For some reason the
baseplate-based system just looks more convincing.  I know that is
counterintuitive but it's what I see.  Maybe it's because real live landscapes,
even hilly ones are essentially flat when viewed from most angles of elevation.
Brick based landscapes have too many "rectangular fractal" components, both
horizontal and vertical.  Maybe that's what it is.

I love the McDonalds, but aren't the roof stripes white?  Also, where's the
Pizza Hut?  Don't they always go in pairs?

I also noticed that you used stock folding tables.  Were these provided by the
exhibition hall?  If so, how did you know that they would be the same height,
be level and in good repair?  It looks like it worked out fine but I would hate
to have to worry about that for every show.

Great job!

KL