 General / 52461
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:00:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:
   In lugnet.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

...a lot of good stuff worth considering

That is a very interesting little image you have there. Why did you make it? What is the message you are trying to send?

On a broader note, I have heard a lot about mistrust between Ambassadors and non-Ambassadors, but I don’t exactly understand why. Within the Castle and Space communities there is some envy about who has an NDA and who doesn’t, but I don’t see any mistrust at all. On the opposite point of view, I feel that there is a lot of trust that we will accurately communicate the communities concerns to TLG and fight to get what the community wants.

So, the question is, if you mistrust the Ambassadors or the Ambassador community: Why? What is it that you think Ambassadors aren’t doing or aren’t doing enough of? What would you like to see done differently?

-Lenny

I have to agree with Lenny on this one, I don’t see a reason why there would be any mistrust?

Is it the thought that we may be saying one thing and know that to not be the truth? Although we do have some extra information that we cannot pubicly release, we would not intentionally tell the communities something that we know not to be true. That being said, if things change and we have said something in the past that is no longer valid, we will endeavour to make that information public as soon as we are allowed.

Just recently with the 9 volt train issues, we saw that people were asking important questions on the different forums, and with in a few days, we were able to get a statement from Lego explaning what the ongoing plan was for 9 volt trains. Now it might not be what people wanted to hear, but it is the truth.

This brings up an intresting point, because of ambassadors (and others under NDA) we are able to get the communities concerns and questions address by LEGO and (hopefully, if the question does not violate any NDA’s) answered as quickly as possible.

Everyone under NDA (well maybe with Exception to Steve Hassenplug (1) ;) ) , share the concerns of the general AFOL community, we want metal tracks as much at the rest of you, and we are voicing our opinions within our NDA related groups and publicly, talking, and trying to see what we can do to allow metal track to continue to be produced.

Personally, I understand that LEGO is a business, and as a business, must do what is best to ensure the company stays profitable.

At the same time I think that creating a play train line that is slated for a younger age range, to continue a childs interest from an earlier age (Thomas, and the DUPLO trains). Is a great idea! I see Thomas, and the DUPLO trains in the retail stores, and they seem to sell well. I think a play train line, with more track then any 9 volt set ever carried and battery powered train, sold at a lower cost with MORE track and brick per dollar will sell well! These sales of Play Train and Duplo trains, will hopefully make retailers look at what other train related items LEGO has. if the 9 volt line is no longer there to support a young persons growing intrest in trains, then TLC will be losing out in the long run.

As a Hobby Train enthusiast, The loss of 9 volt trains will cause us problems, if not now then in the future. when Motors stop working, but until then, I will keep on using 9 volt trains, and at the same time see if it is possible to integrate the hobby train line into our layouts. Perhaps by using the RCX and rechargable battries, of by some magical future technology like nuclear battaries or something :)

In the long run I am considering the worst, but trying to work with in the community and with the ambassadors. to try to keep one of my favorite aspects of the LEGO hobby a reality..

Jeff (who has been known to go off on tangets) VW

(1) Sorry Steve, it has been a while since I poked fun at you... :)

(2) Wow I think this is one of the longest posts I have written... :|