 General / 52508
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:11:30 GMT

Dave,

Great post!  There are possibilities for Ambassador "insider trading" in Lego,
that is true.  But with the huge volume of parts that are generated by TLG, I
don't have much worry about someone hoarding all the parts.  Even with all
hoopla about the retirement of the old gray elements, they were available for
over 2 years after the announcement.  I don't see that as a realistic problem.

There is another scenario however, that I see as more of a possibility.  Say
you're an Ambassador, and you find out that the Yellow Castle set (#375/#6075)
is going to be reintroduced in the late summer (but under a 5 digit number).
But the NDA prevents you from telling anyone.  However, you have 3 MISB Yellow
Castles in your collection.  You know that with MISB Yellow Castles going for
around $700 in EBAY, you decide to sell yours so that they don't depreciate
after the announcement.  Now we have a problem.  And it's of the "insider
trading" type.  If I won one of these in EBAY, and I knew the seller was an
Ambassador..... and 4 months later I found out that my $700 purchase was now
only worth about $200....  well you can finish this story.

Yes, I could see the possibility for some abuse.  I don't know how likely this
would be, but it is possible.

Gary Istok