 General / 52522
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 04:18:22 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Magno wrote:
   Hi Ben,

I believe the original germ of the idea of ~abuse~ was just a HYPOTHETICAL example.

NO ONE has claimed that abuse has happened.

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Ellermann wrote:

snip

   The possibility of Ambassadors abusing Legend knowledge is unlikely if classic sets will no longer be re-released. Ambassadors are here to serve the needs of fans and LEGO instead of our own pocketbooks.

snip

Chris is right, this is a hypothetical dicussion... but I not naive enough to believe that every Lego ambassador’s motive is purely altruistic in nature...

Probably a more realistic example is, if the LAs knew that next year, Lego will release 3 sets, ranging from $5-25, each containing an AT-AT Driver or Snowtrooper, where the on-average $25/minifig would dramatically drop -- I’m sure a LA would be tempted to unload all they had, as quickly as they could. It’s stuff like this that would be hard to track...

If I understand correctly, Lego (with Jake’s help) created the program to help future product releases appeal to/get input from the AFOL community; with the aim of selling more product & keeping profits up. The AFOL’s aim is to get a better quality product, with more value for an AFOL’s money. Meanwhile, the Lego company is doing everything possible to cut down costs... On one hand, I applaud the work Lego employees & LAs are doing together, but on the other hand, I know that every decision that the Lego Group makes will come down to money.

And a sad thing is, LAs could end up spending hours on helping develop a new product line (or make improvements to a line) and the line could be cancelled, because Bionicle is making higher profits that year... though, that could be great news for the LA working with Bionicle division...

It’s all about the pocketbook... it’s all about the perks... and unfortunately for Lego, it’ll be about how much spending money I have at the time & their current product lines... If Lego’s new product line don’t improve soon, I’ll be buying most of my Lego from the after-market sites... and that’s why I expect great things to come form this Lego Ambassador program... unfortunatly, from some of the indications I get, we might not see the improvements for a few years to come.

--Mike.