 General / 52521
Re: Cleaning Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 04:12:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brian Bacher wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to clean large amounts of lego
bricks.

I have a middling-large collection that has been set up for some time in my
basement, and the cheap paint on the walls has started flaking off onto the
assembled lego sets, as well as the usual accumulations of dust etc.

In the past, I have washed them in a tub with dish soap and a toothbrush, which
seems to work pretty good, but my collection has grown since then, and I was
wondering if there was a better way; or at least, a faster way.

Thanks for the help!

--Brian

All new lego to the collection that comes from second hand sources goes through
the dishwasher here. I put them in a mesh laundry bag that zips up, and put it
on the top rack away from the heating element. I've put things as small as
technic pins and axles in this sort of bag without them slipping out.

I got a great deal on some used bionicle last month, but it turned out to be not
as sweet as I thought, the whole collection reeked of cigarrette ( no offence to
any smokers here, but to non-smokers this has to be corrected, the pieces are
useless and tainted until otherwise desmellified )

I kept the bag in the sink overnight with hot water and a few scoops of oxyclean
powder ( in your laundry aisle! )  and it totally removed the smell. more
rubbery pieces seem to be more porous and the smell is harder to kick.

I also have an electric toothbrush for cleaning, it gets in all the niggly bits.
For real gummy bits lodged into bricks I have a collection of broken dental
tools which work great. I use them for sculpting, and you can get them from your
friendly neighbourhood dentist, you might have to ask half a dozen or so before
one bites and gives you some.

cheers, Joseph