 General / 52466
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:47:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

On a broader note, I have heard a lot about mistrust between Ambassadors and non-Ambassadors, but I don’t exactly understand why. Within the Castle and Space communities there is some envy about who has an NDA and who doesn’t, but I don’t see any mistrust at all. On the opposite point of view, I feel that there is a lot of trust that we will accurately communicate the communities concerns to TLG and fight to get what the community wants.

So, the question is, if you mistrust the Ambassadors or the Ambassador community: Why? What is it that you think Ambassadors aren’t doing or aren’t doing enough of? What would you like to see done differently?

-Lenny

I can only speak for myself, but I think lack of communication has alot to do with it. Of course, this is by no means the fault of the Ambassadors themselves. Simply put, those of you who fall under the umbrella of a NDA are privy to a level of interaction with LEGO that the more casual fan is not. An unfortunate reality is that such a relationship is bound to stir up some fans, causing feelings of envy or jealousy to surface.

Moreover, this lack of communication between Ambasssadors and non-Ambassadors leads to a certain level of suspicion among the latter group. Being in the dark, the non-Ambassador may question whether the Ambassadors are truly representing them, and the AFOL community as a whole. Unfortunately for Ambassadors, there doesn’t seem to be a way to confirm that they are representing more than their own personal interests when interacting with LEGO. I’ve seen various polls conducted by Ambassadors on theme-specific sites like Classic-Castle, but rarely do we know what becomes of such a survey. The problem of course is, that there is no way to confirm or deny that LEGO is making much use of this information.

Being in the dark can get quite frustrating when LEGO is implementing a major change. I think the crux of the problem is information is only moving in one direction. This is something that only LEGO can change, and considering how gaurded they are (as are all large companies), this relationship can be quite taxing on fans.

Finally, alot of non-Ambassadors are simply jealous. There is no other way to describe it. They wish they had your position. Still, from what I’ve seen, most of the Ambassadors are very involved with the AFOL community, and would make far better representatives than most of us non-Ambassadors (there are exceptions of course). I think alost every fan would give a lung or kidney for the chance to actively meet with representatives at LEGO to give them their suggestions. The fact that many Ambassadors have served multiple terms (and will likely continue to do so) certainly doesn’t help things with the more bitter non-Ambassador.

The reality is, LEGO would be hard-pressed to find better people to serve as Ambassadors, and people who are returning for a second, third or even fourth time have undoubtedly proven themselves to be worthwhile to both the community and to the Ambassador program. I would love to see more interaction between the Ambassador and non-Ambassador community, but this of course, is in LEGO’s corner.

Later.