 General / 52505
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:15:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

<snip>

I do want to address two issues that were brought up here, some what, but
mostly in email and msn.. That basically was "What was your motivation in
posting? What do I think the price is?"

I took your motivation as asking legitimate questions regarding a legitimate
issue.

The truth is, lots of ppl I know have been discussing these sorts of
questions at lug meetings, chats, other forums and msn messages yet I had not
seen many in depth conversation about it here. That seriously got me to
wondering where the community on a whole was standing on these various
questions I keep hearing. They were not just my questions, I only brought the
question here, mainly because there are some people that can't or are not
comfortable posting here.  I personally don't have strong stance on any of
it, just intense curiosity.

<snip

[In particular, to Calum, no, I don't think that any of my
questions/answers/resulting conclusions are remotely world changing nor would
it be "preventing the next Nobel prize winning thesis" but...  I also don't
recall LUGNET changing to a "World Event Symposium".   Therefore ~ In my
opinion, company and fan relations are a valid part of discussion here.]

Janey "Red Brick"

Is it me or are many people 'going underground' where discussions on LUGNET are
concerned?  I mean, I've received a few e-mails lately regarding some of my
posts to various threads--either stating that they agree with what I stated or
more often stating that I should go crawl under a rock somewhere because my
opinion isn't right.

I have no problem going 'off-line' for matters that don't require postings to
LUGNET--personal stuff and the like.  But if you feel you have a legitimate
point regarding a post or what someone said, then why aren't you posting it to
LUGNET to begin with?  Why take it 'off line'?

One of the ironies of this issue and LUGNET is the idea of 'cross contaminating'
of posts from other newsgroups causing people much chagrin.  These very same
people take LUGNET posts to other venues--either other newsgroups or to private
e-mails.

I have no problem with 'cross contamination'.  If something exciting on Jlug
happens and someone wants to post here about it (and it relates to some aspect
of LEGO), then by all means, post it here so other AFOL's can enjoy that 'LEGO
Goodness' (tm).

If, however, someone posts something that "you don't appreciate" and you have a
point to make, why wouldn't you post it to the original thread?  Is your point
not worthy of debate and discussion?  You obviously thought it merited somehting
or you woudln't have e-mailed or taken it somewhere else.

Stating that this isn't directed solely at Calum, but to many of us who want our
opinions known but aren't willing to put them in an 'open discussion group'.

Bottom line--if Janey's post starts a healthy communication about the ambassador
program, and the ambassador program really does relate to all things LEGO, then
the questions shouldn't be 'why did she post these questions to LUGNET in the
first place?  What's she trying to prove?' but rather the question should be,
'if the ambassador program has been around for, what, over a year now?, then why
haven't these questions been asked earlier right here on LUGNET?'

Why did it take this long for people to start asking these legitimate questions
regarding issues that affect us all?

Once again I state for the record,

Janey--you go girl!!

Dave K