 General / 52504
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:15:43 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Kingsley wrote:
In lugnet.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
<snip>
I do want to address two issues that were brought up here, some what, but
mostly in email and msn.. That basically was "What was your motivation in
posting?

Well my motivation was that I am under NDA and thought that perspective
needed to be heard (even if my NDA prevents me from saying very much
specific).

What do I think the price is?"

Ultimately the price will be improved relations with the LEGO company.

I don't think we can say that improved relations *is* the price we pay for the
NDA and the Ambassador programs.  I think it's more accurate to say that it's
the *hope* and *desire* of most people, from AFOL's to the people at TLC, that
the ambassador program and the NDA will improve relations between TLC and the
fans of the brick.

I say this because I have read (most of) the posts here, (and a huge thanks to
Janey for starting the conversation for I didn't know how to start what I wanted
to talk about), and an issue that I think needs to be addressed--

I'm going to bring up an example that we're all familiar with--insider trading.

That's when 'priviledged people' have information about a company that the rest
of the world doesn't, and they act on it--either buying or dumping stock as the
information warrants, therefore gaining financially as a direct result of their
'inside information'.

How this can relate to ambassadors, mups or anyone else under NDA's with TLC?

Well, this is a hypothetical that I thought of when I first heard about the
ambassador program, and was not influenced by speaking with any particualr
ambassador--

Suppose TLC had an active ambassador program when the colour change was
discussed.

Suppose TLC, in their communications with the ambassadors, stated "we are
planning to change the current greys to these new blue-greys.  Don't tell the
AFOL's of the world yet, but we want to get your feedback on the colour change"

So the ambassadors, under the NDA, cannot tell the AFOL community, but they
themselves know that the colour change will happen.  These ambassadors, being
pretty big fans of the brick (like the rest of us), have a pretty good
inlcination of how the rest of us will take that bit of news.

Now this is all hypothetical--remember that.  One or two ambassadors get the
idea (and history has shown that this isn't unheard of or outside the realm of
possibility) that maybe if they purchase a stack of what will become 'old grey'
bricks at the going price at the time, they just might make a profit when the
rest of the community is clamouring for that 'old grey' when the rest of us find
out that TLC is no longer producing 'old grey'.

I don't wish to disparage the ambassador program or any other program that TLC
is working on with AFOL's--rather, I want to encourage and support these
programs.

But Enron and Martha Stewart (and hte subsequent Sarbanes Oxley legislation)
have shown that there are legitimate concerns with regard to 'inside
information'.

As a concrete example, we know now that the ambassadors and other people under
NDA's with TLC knew about the 'perhaps' discontinuation of the 9 volt train
line.  I genuinely hope that none of the ambassadors acted on that information
by purchasing 9 volt train items in bulk quantities *with the intention* of
selling those items at a higher price after.

I fully understand that if ambassador X purchased a a bunch of 9 volt items
before the information went public that ambassador X wouldn't buy out all the
stock that TLC has, and therefore there would be lots left over for 'the rest of
us' when the knowledge became public (unless he or she was exceedingly rich),
but again, what I've been told my entirelife--it doesn't matter what the truth
is, the important thing is how people perceive it.

Unfortunately, as this very thread attests, the ambassador program is under
close scrutiny by the community-at-large.  If the ambassadors want the trust of
the community, then trust is earned, not given freely.  I'll state for the
record that the ambassador program and the Muppets already have my trust,
because that's the kind of guy I am--I've always been 'you're great until you
prove to me you aren't'.  However, as some of you know, my outlook on life isn't
really anyone elses.

<snip>

I feel I need to make one thing clear... I never once intended or thought
this would be that earth shattering of a post, it was just some simple
questions that brought out some simple and complex answers.

And Thanks for asking, it was a very healthy discussion.

I agree, and this is the perfect venue for it.  Thanks Janey

Eric Kingsley

LEGO Ambassador

Dave K