 General / 52437
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:03:06 GMT

   In lugnet.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

After an interesting chat about “Fan involvement with TLC” the other night, a few concerns/questions came up, and I can’t seem to shake them.

Historically a large portion of AfoL/ALE’s have wanted a closer relationship with TLC and over the last few years we have been witness to that happening. Now more than ever, it seems as if the company is involving the fan base. I don’t have the luxury of knowing how many ppl are under a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) currently, but the numbers must be high. (1)

Off the top of my head, the original test project for the factory, and the subsequent phase, and projects such as this train committee, the cycling ambassadors, certified artists, and the nxt, clan just to mention a few.

So we know, a lot of our “high profile” community members from various themes and interests (from trains to robotics and sculpture through micro) and are more than likely also those members that often posted, having very in depth or insightful posts about products and development etc are now under NDAs.

I have 5 questions I’m looking for ppl (both those under NDA or and those that are not) to consider responding to.

Q1. Are the NDA keeping our most prolific quiet? (Aside from the obvious, I understand they can’t discuss certain things, but are there people that would have been posting otherwise that are now remaining silent, in fear that even guessing or hypothesising might end up being factual, and then be some violation of their agreement?)

Q2. Is this hindering or benefiting our communication as a community?

Q3. a) Is the help/advice/feedback those under an NDA are providing to Lego really being taken in account, or it just be considerd dandling carrot by the company? (2) b) If so (based on Q3a), is this a reasonable price to pay to have so many of our high profile members unable to discuss things openly?

Q4. Are members spending many of their community hours behind the scenes that they don’t have time as much free time to dedicate to the public forums that they once had?

Q5. If the individual departments within TLC alone can not corelate information with each other in a timely manner, are they capable of doing so with the various fan/company groups they are spearheading?

Personally, I don’t really know. I really want to believe that the fans having some input must make some improvements, but I wonder if the price we are paying is outweighing what is gained. I guess since no one can clearly let us know what is being gained, its difficult to judge. I have the feeling that other members here might have opinions and much better insight on this than I do.

Curious,

Janey “Red Brick”

1. After 5 minutes (exhaustive) research I came up with a verifiable list of 81 fans names that currently are under an NDA. Since I could only find out about half of the nxt group, that number should be at least 131, so I assume the actual number is significantly.

2. Is this a case of “Be careful what you wish for?” or are great strides being made behind the scenes between fan and company? (Aside from the brief mentions of the original NXT group saying their feedback affected the actual outcome of the product) details from direct relationship between fan and company and results of this alliance have been scarce. This is not to say it hasn’t happened, it must have, I just have yet to see any announcement saying anything to the contrary, (although quite possible that I have missed it). For example, was Batman a result of fan involvement? Was that cute little one by one smooth slope?? Are the changes to the Factory? Etc.

Interesting questions. The NDA/Ambassador phenomenon does seem to have created an in-group and an out-group among AFOLs, and a certain amount of distrust both between and within them. I feel bad about it, but I can’t help but discount the opinions of folks under NDA, at least a little. And I have personally been accused of trying to make myself look better in an attempt to become an Ambassador. So, the effect on the community has not been 100% positive.

On the other hand, if you read this post by Paul Janssen, it sounds like the Ambassadors actually have influence with TLC. And recently, they have been doing more to become a two-way conduit of information, rather than just a privileged focus group (see Kelly McKiernan and Eric Kingsley). More examples of concrete, AFOL-friendly results from the NDAFOL-TLC partnership would certainly go a long way towards reassuring those of us on the outside - I think the 9v train issue will be an important test case.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations