 General / 52438
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:47:41 GMT

In lugnet.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
I have 5 questions I'm looking for ppl (both those under NDA or and those that
are not) to consider responding to.

I'm under NDA, and have been thinking about this very thing. I have a blog entry
about half-written about the subject, but - alas - I'm so busy it's been delayed
a bit...

Q1. Are the NDA keeping our most prolific quiet?

Yes.

Q2. Is this hindering or benefiting our communication as a community?

Benefiting, with caveats, see below.

Q3. a) Is the help/advice/feedback those under an NDA are providing to Lego
really being taken in account, or it just be considerd dandling carrot by the
company?

Absolutely it's being used and taken into consideration, I've seen it happen.
That doesn't mean whatever "we" advisors say is always implemented, of course,
but I have seen my own feedback result in very concrete improvements in things
like LEGO Factory.

b) If so (based on Q3a), is this a reasonable price to pay to have so many
of our high profile members unable to discuss things openly?

If you're talking about the things that can't be discussed because of NDA, then
I would say it's a very reasonable trade. Being part of the Ambassador program,
especially, has shown how we as fans can play a role in making products and
services from TLG come out better, anywhere from answering a quick question to
being more deeply involved with long-term projects. (Sorry that's so vague...
which in itself answers part of your question.)

For myself... I can spend some of my time participating with NDA activities, or
I can make a crappy MOC. Guess which one has more bang for the buck? The AFOL
community will not be any less rich because of my lack of Brickshelf pictures,
frankly. But I'm the exception in that regard, I think.

Q4. Are members spending many of their community hours behind the scenes that
they don't have time as much free time to dedicate to the public forums that
they once had?

Ding ding ding. Give the lady a Kewpie doll. That's the sixty-four thousand
brick question. This is the one place where I think the people who are fortunate
enough to be involved with TLG in some way can change behavior. It's really just
become apparent (to me, anyway - I may just be dense) that the amount of effort
poured into "black ops" projects is definitely detracting from the greater
"public" community. I for one am trying to consciously change that, and that's
what I'm blogging about.

Q5. If the individual departments within TLC alone can not corelate information
with each other in a timely manner, are they capable of doing so with the
various fan/company groups they are spearheading?

That's another question that's just recently come up, and it's much harder to
answer. I'll leave that to somebody from TLG to comment upon.

Personally, I don't really know.  I really want to believe that the fans having
some input must make some improvements, but I wonder if the price we are paying
is outweighing what is gained.

I really do think it's an overall benefit, with the caveat that what we can
change (balance private with public effort) is an important element. For myself,
over the last week, I've been involved with: upgrading BZPower software
(whatapain); discussions with Ambassadors and other NDA groups about lotsa
stuff, including intercommunications; tweaks to Brickfest.com for '06 event;
working with an AFOL group on a new web site (very cool, you'll love it);
sorting several buckets worth of bricks; building two moonbase modules; revising
a BrickJournal article; all dwarfed by another big AFOL effort that I hope to
have public shortly. And I know for a fact that I'm not even close to being the
most busy. That's all mostly behind-the-scenes stuff, and the benefits don't
become apparent for a long time. For example, some of the stuff going on with
other NDAFOL[1] projects won't become public for YEARS. So I understand the
frustration in the community of these groups of people who fell off the planet,
only to show up in Wired magazine[2].

In all, several very good questions, Janey... I hope my answers help ease the
tension just a skootch.

- Kelly, NDAFOL

[1] Marc Nelson Jr. coined, I like. ;)

[2] Actually, the entire NXT announcement and Wired magazine article was what I
consider an extremely cool and effective project reveal. If only they were all
so effective.