 General / 52436
52435  |  52437
Subject:
Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:13:46 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

After an interesting chat about "Fan involvement with TLC" the other night, a
few concerns/questions came up, and I can't seem to shake them.

Historically a large portion of AfoL/ALE's have wanted a closer relationship
with TLC and over the last few years we have been witness to that happening.
Now more than ever, it seems as if the company is involving the fan base.  I
don't have the luxury of knowing how many ppl are under a NDA (non-disclosure
agreement) currently, but the numbers must be high. (1)

Off the top of my head,  the original test project for the factory, and the
subsequent phase, and projects such as this train committee, the cycling
ambassadors, certified artists, and the nxt, clan just to mention a few.

So we know,  a lot of our "high profile" community members from various themes
and interests (from trains to robotics and sculpture through micro) and are more
than likely also those members that often posted, having very in depth or
insightful posts about products and development etc are now under NDAs.

I have 5 questions I'm looking for ppl (both those under NDA or and those that
are not) to consider responding to.

Q1. Are the NDA keeping our most prolific quiet? (Aside from the obvious, I
understand they can't discuss certain things, but are there people that would
have been posting otherwise that are  now remaining silent, in fear that even
guessing or hypothesising might end up being factual, and then be some violation
of their agreement?)

Q2. Is this hindering or benefiting our communication as a community?

Q3. a) Is the help/advice/feedback those under an NDA are providing to Lego
really being taken in account, or it just be considerd dandling carrot by the
company?  (2)
    b) If so (based on Q3a), is this a reasonable price to pay to have so many
of our high profile members unable to discuss things openly?

Q4. Are members spending many of their community hours behind the scenes that
they don't have time as much free time to dedicate to the public forums that
they once had?

Q5. If the individual departments within TLC alone can not corelate information
with each other in a timely manner, are they capable of doing so with the
various fan/company groups they are spearheading?

Personally, I don't really know.  I really want to believe that the fans having
some input must make some improvements, but I wonder if the price we are paying
is outweighing what is gained.  I guess since no one can clearly let us know
what is being gained, its difficult to judge.  I have the feeling that other
members here might have opinions and much better insight on this than I do.

Curious,

Janey "Red Brick"

1.  After 5 minutes (exhaustive) research I came up with a verifiable list of 81
fans names that currently are under an NDA.  Since I could only find out about
half of the nxt group, that number should be at least 131, so I assume the
actual number is significantly.

2.  Is this a case of  "Be careful what you wish  for?" or are great strides
being made behind the scenes between fan and company? (Aside from the brief
mentions of the original NXT group saying their feedback affected the actual
outcome of the product) details from direct relationship between fan and company
and results of this alliance have been scarce.  This is not to say it hasn't
happened, it must have, I just have yet to see any announcement saying anything
to the contrary, (although quite possible that I have missed it).  For example,
was Batman a result of fan involvement? Was that cute little one by one smooth
slope?? Are the changes to the Factory? Etc.