 General / 52477
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:34:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
After an interesting chat about "Fan involvement with TLC" the other night, a
few concerns/questions came up, and I can't seem to shake them.

Hi,

this is a very interesting discussion! Concerning the Ambassadors I have heard
that they had 1500 emails in only one season. If you have to read (and partly
answer) 1500 e-mails, this will keep you busy enough to stay out of other
forums. I do not think the NDA is causing any silence.

I am right now in a group which is under NDA and so far I have not won the
impression I learned anything which has to stay secret.

My trust in the LEGO company has not grown due to the cowork. I am more than
ever convinced the 9V train line will die quite soon. LEGO is just doing a much
better PR work this time compared with the blay desaster. They tell us they work
on this and it depends on us to buy enough stuff to keep 9V alive. So wenn they
shut the system down we have to feel guilty instead of blaming TLC...

So with this foreword written down, lets go into the questions:

Q1. Are the NDA keeping our most prolific quiet? (Aside from the obvious, I
understand they can't discuss certain things, but are there people that would
have been posting otherwise that are  now remaining silent, in fear that even
guessing or hypothesising might end up being factual, and then be some violation
of their agreement?)

Do not think so.

Q2. Is this hindering or benefiting our communication as a community?

It costs time. This time is lacking in other fields of the hobby.

Q3. a) Is the help/advice/feedback those under an NDA are providing to Lego
really being taken in account, or it just be considerd dandling carrot by the
company?  (2)
    b) If so (based on Q3a), is this a reasonable price to pay to have so many
of our high profile members unable to discuss things openly?

Can not give any answer to this. I just do not know.

Q4. Are members spending many of their community hours behind the scenes that
they don't have time as much free time to dedicate to the public forums that
they once had?

I think this is true.

Q5. If the individual departments within TLC alone can not corelate information
with each other in a timely manner, are they capable of doing so with the
various fan/company groups they are spearheading?

They are telling all the time they are working on this very topic. So far they
have no idea how to handle the input, but they try to formalize it.

I think the reduced level of old noice makers may deal with lots of topics as
given in other answers.
- Discussions seem to repeat after a while again and again.
- Lugnet does not feel like the friendliest place on earth any more (at least
not at all times).
- I feel a general loss of interest in LEGO: blay and the end of 9V (which I
take for guaranteed) have shown me how unimportant we are. Lots of broken
promises from LEGO employees over the past 3 years have proven, that LEGO is not
differing from other "bad" companies like Mercedes (now having quality trouble
as LEGO); Microsoft, GE or Siemens. Old values do not count anything when you
can sell them for a few pennies.

Sorry for sounding that negative, but this is my personal view, which is based
on too many bad experiences. I know there are some great people at LEGO, but
usually they are not in positions to decide. Or they have to behave rational
under marketing aspects and this includes to tell lies to their customers. I do
not blame them for this. It is their job. I understand it, but do not expect me
to love the LEGO company. I do not.

LEG GODT,

Ben
(Fan of LEGO System and SYSTEM colours 1964...2003 - actually not a fan of TLC
and the company policy.)