 General / 52516
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:22:26 GMT

[so this is now a discussion about discussions on LUGNET, right? Talk about your
meta-discussions... <grin>]

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:

I took your motivation as asking legitimate questions regarding
a legitimate issue.

   Agreed.

The truth is, lots of ppl I know have been discussing these
sorts of questions at lug meetings, chats, other forums...

   To be honest, I was completely caught off-guard by this thread. I had *not*
heard this (although to be fair most of my on-line LEGO time is spent on
LUGNET), and was surprised that anyone would be upset or even worried. Clearly I
was just blatently *wrong* on this. I tend to agree with the philosophy of
"innocent until proven otherwise" in my interactions - I see no reason to see
bad intentions until they slap me in the face, as usually I find they're
miscommunications instead [1].

I also don't recall LUGNET changing to a "World Event Symposium".

   One curious sideline here: in my vast research in the world at large (I asked
one other person, in France) about this thread, it was a surprise "over the
pond" as well. Does anyone know if similar issues have poped up on 1000steine,
for instance? Or is this a principly North American issue?

the questions shouldn't be 'why did she post these questions to
LUGNET in the first place?  What's she trying to prove?'

   Absolutely!

the question should be, 'if the ambassador program has been around
for, what, over a year now?, then why haven't these questions been
asked earlier right here on LUGNET?'

   Which I guess is a very good question. But some of us haven't been asking
them because, well... first, they aren't problems that all of us see. And
second, we've been, you know, *playing*. With our toys. I mean, that's why I'm
"here" in the first place. Right now I'm trying to plan stuff for HoB in
Chicago, including building a new loader/unloader and GBC train handling system
[4], new GBC modules [5], a Raptor from BSG [7], and revitalize a tic-tac-toe
playing robot. And I'm working with several others to plan Technic events at
BF06 (we're hoping to have a number of events, as well as NXT demos, etc), and
on top of it playing with the NXT under the NDA [6], etc. Oh, and trying to
build my first Moonbase module(s) which need some work [11].

Janey--you go girl!!

   Seconded!

--
Brian Davis [12]

[1] Or as I usually think of it, "never ascribe to malice what can easily be
explained by ignorance". Another little phrase I think about in this vein is
"Organizations never know anything - *individuals* within organizations do" [3].

[2] This space intentionally left blank.

[3] Another one that always gets me in trouble is "I firmly believe in
discrimination on the grounds of ability". I love watching my students I when I
use the "D" word :). But I digress.

[4] Not because the old one doesn't work, but because, well, it's FUN!

[5] See footnote #4 just above. Including, Janey, one that sorts the Bionicle
balls you posted about so long ago. Those are neat [8].

[6] Among those tasks, getting ready to share what I know when the shackles come
off on 1 May [9].

[7] and folks, I'm lousy at building space [11] - somebody please take on this
task and out-do me. One of the guests of honor at HoB may be a cast member from
BSG, "Chief", and it would be a neat tie-in.

[8] Oh, and making an automated robotic machine gun using them, hopefully with
target tracking as well; I confess the idea came from a German AFoL in a case of
cross-the-pond inspiration.

[9] As well as a whole lot of other things that I can't say *yet* <insert sounds
of teeth on bit here>.

[10] Consider this one of those things.

[11] As my 8-year-old son has told me on several occasions.

[12] Who is unofficially trying to abscond with the title of "most footnotes in
a single LUGNET post"... although to make that official, do I have to cross-post
into rtlToronto?