 General / 52441
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:50:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
I have 5 questions I'm looking for ppl (both those under NDA or and those that
are not) to consider responding to.

Janey, interesting questions, and I will not respond to them individually, but
just give my overall "feeling" about things.

I am not currently under NDA to TLC, but I have been in the past. As far as the
interaction that happened while I was working on the project, I have mixed
feelings - there were some great ideas passed around, but I see very few of the
AFOL ideas *related to bricks* have been used directly to this point. That's not
necessarily bad, taking into account the project itself and the fact that it was
one of the first such collaborative projects. I think the main result to come
directly out of it was that both TLC and the AFOLs involved realised such
projects could, in future, be of benefit, which has probably influenced TLC's
decision to explore subsequent projects.

I must say, I don't think my involvement at the time caused any reduction of my
involvement in the rest of the community, but I do definitely have the feeling
from others since, that it has caused them to be more careful about what they
say publically.

So I guess my feelings are still a little mixed about it all - I have seen the
possibilities of such projects, but to a certain extent I feel the demonstrated
results have not yet lived up to my expectations. Maybe my expectations were too
high, or maybe it's just gonna take more time, I dunno. I certainly hope we
don't get to the point where there's so many members of the AFOL community under
various NDAs that it becomes a pissing match - I'd hate lugnet.general to become
"How many projects are you working on today?" "Oh currently 19, but they've
asked me onto 2 more just yesterday, what about you?".

ROSCO