 General / 52481
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:44:28 GMT

Hello!

In lugnet.general, Joel Midgley wrote:
   I can only speak for myself, but I think lack of communication has alot to do with it. ... Moreover, this lack of communication between Ambasssadors and non-Ambassadors leads to a certain level of suspicion among the latter group.

Actually I don’t see that problem at all. Why would there be a lack of communication? Sure, there are some AFOLs who get per ambassadorship some insight in some activities within the LEGO group. Whenever they (the ambassadors) are allowed to do so they tell the AFOL community about these activities. That’s communication.

Most things, so we hear, the ambassadors get insight into are not publicised. These things wouldn’t be publicised anyway, if there were ambassadors or if there were none. So what’s the difference?

Maybe we, the non-NDA-ed AFOL community, simply expect to much of this whole ambassador programme. It was never meant to make the LEGO company transparent to us. Yet that seems to be the expectation of some AFOLs.

I’m sure the LEGO company gains some profit out of this ambassador programme, otherwise they wouldn’t have installed it in the first place, and otherwise they wouldn’t have renewed it a second and third time. Whether or not this programme will yield some real benefit for the AFOLs/for all LEGO customers only time will tell. So far we sometimes get some information through an ambassador that we might have gotten through any LEGO representative (Brad, Jake, Steve, Jan) in case there weren’t ambassadors.

   Being in the dark, the non-Ambassador may question whether the Ambassadors are truly representing them, and the AFOL community as a whole. Unfortunately for Ambassadors, there doesn’t seem to be a way to confirm that they are representing more than their own personal interests when interacting with LEGO.

Ambassadors are not elected representatives of the AFOL community in the parliamentary-democratic sense of the word. Everybody was free to apply but TLC chose the candidates. That means the AFOL community has no right to demand anything from both TLC and the ambassadors. However, as far as I am able to judge it the ambassadors try for being representatives of the AFOL community, though without denying themselves. And I think they do it right.

   Finally, alot of non-Ambassadors are simply jealous. There is no other way to describe it. They wish they had your position. ... I think alost every fan would give a lung or kidney for the chance to actively meet with representatives at LEGO to give them their suggestions.

You are probably right concerning the jealousy. This jealousy would likely get lessened when the jealous ones were to read, understand and answer 1500 ambassador mails per round :-)

I’m not sure about the leg-and-kidney-thing, though. Even LEGO-representatives are human. They even are mortal. They don’t live somewhere outa space, not on Olympus Mons. They ain’t even famous in the yellow-press-world outside the AFOL community. Everybody can always reach one of the LEGO representatives through e-mail, letter or forum post, can even meet them in person on Brickfests, 1000steine-Lands or other meetings.

   The reality is, LEGO would be hard-pressed to find better people to serve as Ambassadors, and people who are returning for a second, third or even fourth time have undoubtedly proven themselves to be worthwhile to both the community and to the Ambassador program.

Yep.

Bye Jojo