 General / 52443
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:21:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
Q1. Are the NDA keeping our most prolific quiet?

I don't think so.  Everything that is covered under my NDA is the sort of stuff
that the community just doesn't know about.  And a lot of stuff we are made
aware of shortly before a community announcement.  The only threads I can't
really be apart of are the "Wouldn't it be great if..." and I wouldn't
participate in those anyway.

Q2. Is this hindering or benefiting our communication as a community?

I don't think it has any affect on communication.  Altho, in a way it helps, as
people have better access to official LEGO information.  A random member of CC
can contact me or Ben, rather than rooting out Steve Witt's info, to get
information.

Q3. a) Is the help/advice/feedback those under an NDA are providing to Lego
really being taken in account, or it just be considerd dandling carrot by the
company?  (2)
    b) If so (based on Q3a), is this a reasonable price to pay to have so many
of our high profile members unable to discuss things openly?

I think they are being take into account, although, honestly it has uneven
effect.  Some advice is sought for while and used, while some advice isn't
sought for and it seems TLG doesn't know what to do with it.

I think the big project for the Ambassadors is for TLG to realize their
usefulness.  Ambassadors can be more than just product feedback, and I think
people within TLG are realizing that.  Another part is that different people
within TLG have different ideas about Ambassadors - some are more interested in
working with us than others.

Q4. Are members spending many of their community hours behind the scenes that
they don't have time as much free time to dedicate to the public forums that
they once had?

That might be the case.  There is a lot of Ambassador email to go through on a
daily basis.  However, at the same point, being an Ambassador sometimes
motivates me to do more for my community than I would have had I not been as
involved.

Q5. If the individual departments within TLC alone can not corelate information
with each other in a timely manner, are they capable of doing so with the
various fan/company groups they are spearheading?

I don't know.  But since this question is a "is this possible?", I think yes.
Part of it is that different parts of TLG don't need to communicate as much as
some of those parts need to communicate with the AFOLs.  For example, the SW
marketing team has more to do with FBTB than they do with, lets say, Park
Management or SAH.  Internal community problems might not be the best way to
judge external communication.

In other words, my best friend (outside the family) knew that I was going to get
married before I got around to calling my mom (inside the family)!

Personally, I don't really know.  I really want to believe that the fans having
some input must make some improvements, but I wonder if the price we are paying
is outweighing what is gained.  I guess since no one can clearly let us know
what is being gained, its difficult to judge.  I have the feeling that other
members here might have opinions and much better insight on this than I do.

Can you give me an idea of what you think the cost is?  From my point of view, I
don't see much different in the community as a result of Ambassadors and NDAs
than before.  Especially as NDAs have been going on a far bit longer than
Ambassadors.

For example,
was Batman a result of fan involvement? Was that cute little one by one smooth
slope?? Are the changes to the Factory? Etc.

No, no, yes.  I think.  Altho the Factory changes were a bit obvious, so hearing
what AFOLs had to say, they basically were like "duh!"

As regards Batman.  We found out about Batman about a month or so before a few
of us were picked to go to Enfield.  At Enfield we saw the Batman line
(including sets that haven't come out yet), and gave them our feedback on what
we thought, liked, didn't like, etc.  They also polled our heads about ideas for
future Batman sets.  I dunno what I can say about that particularly, but they
did listen intently and even took notes.  But what are ideas that will be used,
and what are ideas that they'd come up with anyways?  That's the hard part -
seperating what can be seen to have obvious Ambassador input, even if they did
ask!

-Lenny