 General / 52450
Re: Questions about fan involvement with TLC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:00:26 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
   After an interesting chat about “Fan involvement with TLC” the other night, a few concerns/questions came up, and I can’t seem to shake them.

Hi Janey,

Having been one of the non-NDA crowd up until quite recently, I can certainly understand your concerns. I had concerns about how the Ambassador program worked, and what the Ambassadors did, so I applied, and was fortunate enough to be selected.

Although I am not yet on any of the ‘secret projects’ which are underway, I know about them (or at least, I know about some of them). But I am still feeling my way as an Ambassador. I think it would be easy to get tied up in the ‘under NDA and working too hard doing a lot of work behind the scenes’ mindset.

I can’t speak for all the Ambassadors, but since I was selected as Ambassador, I have been working on building links between Australian Lego Fans (who have been a fairly neglected lot to date) and the company at both an international and local level. Already, I have secured some support for Brickvention 06, and have been talking to Lego Australia and their PR company. Later today, I will be interviewed by SMH online as part of the PR effort for Lego Australia’s Creator show.

I am making building these links a priority, and investing emotional capital in doing my best to make sure they work. Obviously, this work also takes time. And that time has to come from somewhere. My post count on LUGNET was already way down on what it used to be, but looking back, I see my posting level on JLUG have also fallen.

I feel though, that I was appointed as Ambassador because of what I’ve done in the community and for the hobby as a whole, so I must represent and promote the community and the hobby as much as I can.

I think that fans can be a real asset to the company, and that company interaction can be a real asset to the community.

Your concerns are certainly valid. I will endeavour to keep my overt community participation at a level which allows me to properly support and promote the community, both to the company, and to the community at large. In fact, if I recall correctly, one of the first instructions from Lego to the Ambassadors was ‘keep doing what you’ve been doing’ - ie participating in the community.

Kind regards

Richie Dulin