 General / 45995
Re: Article text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:58:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ken Nagel wrote:
   Awfuly bullheaded of you just because YOU don’t find them useful. I’ve wittnessed hundreds of PAB purchases and the overwelming majority of them are because the people buying them because they enjoy them. As for MOCs I’ve seen many including a large scale “Wizard of OZ” “Emerald City” made largly of trans green brick.

Go back and reread exactly what I said, as I’m pretty sure you didn’t understand it. I mentioned specifically “light yellow, light orange, and bright green”. Why? Because they’re all about the different from basic yellow, basic orange, and basic green as gunmetal grey is from dark-grey. Those three specific colors don’t have much added value over the original three, and I don’t see the point in their continued use (I also don’t see many instances of MOC use). Trans-green, however, is a completely unique color. There is no other transparent color that at all resembles trans-green. I’m not sure I entirely sure why they felt the need to have both trans-light blue (which looks flourescent) and trans-flourescent blue (which doesn’t) at the same time, since they’re pretty close, but at least they look very different under black-light.

   Nice dissertation however it doesn’t hold water. The Harry Potter car had to be light blue. It the sense of the over all operation it didn’t cost them any more to make it in light blue instead of the original dark blue.

I didn’t say anything about light-blue, either. Light-blue looks significantly different from basic blue, and I’m fine with it’s continued use. Again, reread what I wrote, because I don’t think you understood it the first time.

   Need more? Two words “Maersk Blue”. They can’t use it on models made for the public due to licencing restrictions however they still make it for the model shops.

Actually, word is that they stopped producing it even for them. Oddly enough, those guys pretty much universally went with Maersk Blue over light-blue, from what I understand, but that still leaves them in a situation where they preferred one color over a very similar color, but they had the advantage of being able to choose their favorite solely on which shade they actually preferred because they never had to worry about whether a specific piece had ever been produced in that color.

   If it was only 2003 it would be fine however 2003 was just the worst of its mulit year decline. By the end of 2003 there were plenty of toy manufacturers seeing sunny day ahead. The new Hogwarts will take off only due to sales to the same customers. You seem to keep thinking every one knows what you know and thinks what you think.

No, but after collecting Star Wars action figures for close to ten years straight, I’ve heard the same complaints coming from the fans, and the same explanations coming from the company.

   There is a huge market out there that was never made aware of the Lego Harry Potter line and that is where the stagnation came from.

Possibly, but you can’t know that for sure. You say there are a lot of kids who don’t even know that LEGO HP exists. Does that mean that if they did each and every one of them would own a Hogwarts by now? Very likely not. I’d actually venture a guess that the people who are still unaware of the LEGO HP line this far down the road would be even less likely to buy the larger sets than those who knew about it earlier in the game.

   http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=44690 QUOTE:

“profits stagnated because of the higher cost of producing the new products. The company now plans to stop making the electronics and movie tie-in products and return to its core mission: producing colored plastic building blocks for children.”

When they say in their own words: “The company now plans to stop making... ...movie tie-in products” I would think they are going to stop making movie tie in products.

Ah, but they didn’t say that “in their own words”. That portion of text was written solely by Business Newswire, which apparently got the story wrong. They also said that TLC would stop making any electronic toys (in the portion that you clipped out of the middle), but we’ve since received confirmation specifically that both Mindstorms and Harry Potter would continue in the press release I linked to. Star Wars has also been confirmed to not be in danger, along with reaffirmation of MS and HP, in this post by Jake McKee. If he’s willing to risk his good name, on LUGNET, by stating point blank that none of those three lines are going away (again, no mention of Spiderman...), I’m betting he really, really, really means it.

   Bionicle has never been in danger but you better watch the news closer.-Ken

There’s a log in your eye. From the way the very first statements were issued, BIONICLE was very much in a risky situation. Everything pointed to TLC returning to their core products. What’s a core product? BIONICLE features a huge number of new pieces each year (more in 3 years than Star Wars in 5), it uses very few basic System bricks, it relies heavily on collectibility as a way of generating interest, and there is a certain amount of fad status to it. “Core products” looked like it might not include BIONICLE. Since then we’ve found out that “core products” includes nearly everything they produce, and that no radical changes are being implemented. They’re just going to be a bit more careful about securing new licenses.

For the record, the instant the future of BIONICLE was uncertain in my eyes, I e-mailed one of my contacts in the PR department, and was assured that neither BIONICLE nor Star Wars would be cancelled as a result of this turn of events.