 General / 45866
45865  |  45867
Subject:
PVC (not ABS) parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:29:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Rayhawk wrote:
   The difference being, if you spend the money making bley and pink, the customer sees two separate colors and gets excited. If you spend the money to make bley and gray, 95% of your customers see only one color anyway, so you might as well never have spent the extra money at all. (The same argument is true for replacing Lego ABS with Mega-Bloks-like PVC, which is why I think we’re seeing so many new Lego elements in the substandard-grade plastic lately.)

Wait a minute. I thought I was imagining this. What elements have appeared in cheaper plastic? I thought some of the plastic in the $10 Harry Potter sets with the cheesy cardboard backdrops seemed to be made of cheaper stuff. The sound that the door made when it was closed on the prefab wall part didn’t seem right, but I just couldn’t bring myself to believe that it was because of cheaper plastic.

Hmmm, I did just make my first MegaBlok purchase, an Alien Agency set, to compare the greys. Now that you mention it, the MegaBlok plastic does remind me of the cheesy seeming lego elements. I’ll have to do some more comparisons.

By the way, the new Lego dark bley is a much closer match to the MegaBlok dark bley. The light grey in the Alien Agency set is kinda silvery so it doesn’t really match the new Lego light bley.

Also, if you look at inclued MegaBlok catalog, the knights kingdom maxifigs (especially the hands) look just like the Blok Bots. (except perhaps the Lego knights don’t transform?)

Looks like Lego is now following MegaBlok’s lead. Yikes!

Don