 General / 45945
Re: Article text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:20:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Rayhawk wrote:

   I don’t think anybody’s trying to say that bley was a good idea (or even an excusable mistake).

You haven’t been listening to lego then. They seem to be willing to defend this with their dying breath. (wich is what I would like to avoid)

   Yes, dropping gray will cost them. I’m just saying that there are good reasons that having both bley and gray might very well cost them more.

You haven’t made that point though. They have a virtual spectrum now. If more colors cost more money they should just drop every thing except the original red, white, and black.

   In the same way (since you seem to feel more strongly about this than about the actual color change), a continued run of the previous HP Hogwart’s Castle would have made continued sales, maybe even posted good figures. But all the people most excited about it have already bought it,

Wrong! I know for a fact that huge numbers of kids who are HP fans have no idea this product line exists. If they knew about it they too would be exited.

   Whether or not you approve or disapprove, I don’t think ignoring reality is going to help your argument. It’s still the Lego company that’s making the colors, and they’re a real place that operates according to real methods. We might not think it’s ideal that they take cake-breaks five times a day, but that’s what we’re stuck with.

It seems you are ignoring reality, it’s Lego that’s whining about all the money they’ve lost. particularly troubleing in a time when the rest of the industrialized world is moving upword.

   I could argue this point but it’s secondary to the issue. Even if Lego’s marketing department did as poor a job as you suggest, it doesn’t change the fact that the company has to spend money on it.

It’s not secondary it’s the whole kit n’ kaboodel! Lego is by their own admission on a multi-year downhill run. It’s poor marketing that caused this!

   I’m not even sure what you’re trying to argue anymore. If Lego’s entire product line consisted of that one model, then sure, but that model is part of a system with other models. When the grays don’t match between models, then consumers get confused and angry; preventing that from happening is a marketing issue. Nobody gets confused when bley doesn’t match with pink.

You can’t argue it because it’s absurd. They have red & dark red. They have light blue & blue. They have lime & original green.They have orange & dark orange. They had very light grey, light grey, & dark grey. Adding blue-grey to the list increases operating cost no further than developing the original mix.

   Well Luke is doomed because Lucas is done putting out new Star Wars movies, so that’s the end of the license. I’m not as familiar with the HP side of things so I can’t really speak to that.

Lucas may be done but there’s still 3 more movies in the cooker. Harry is going to carry on for years. It has nothing to do with that though, LEGO has publicly said they feel they can’t make money off licenced products and therfor they are going to quit trying. This decision came about at the same time they started chopping executive heads. The current “new” releases were already committed by then. I find this very sad because the failure of Lego to make money on licenced products if the falure of Lego to properly market them and not a failure of the market.-Ken