 General / 45978
Re: Article text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:47:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Laswell wrote:
   They’re selling because they’re rare colors, not because they’re particularly useful. And I’d be surprised in a large number of them weren’t bought specifically to put on Bricklink. I still don’t see many MOCs that actually use them.

Awfuly bullheaded of you just because YOU don’t find them useful. I’ve wittnessed hundreds of PAB purchases and the overwelming majority of them are because the people buying them because they enjoy them. As for MOCs I’ve seen many including a large scale “Wizard of OZ” “Emerald City” made largly of trans green brick.

   You want supporting arguments? Fine. They’d have to keep double stock of grey resin on hand, since they’d have to purchase minimum quantities of each color. • snip...yada yada yada... Good enough for you, or do you need more?

Nice dissertation however it doesn’t hold water. The Harry Potter car had to be light blue. It the sense of the over all operation it didn’t cost them any more to make it in light blue instead of the original dark blue. Need more? Two words “Maersk Blue”. They can’t use it on models made for the public due to licencing restrictions however they still make it for the model shops.

   As has been stated plenty of times before, the 2003 loss was every bit as much a matter of flagging toy sales in general as it was bad business practices for their specific company. Advertising might have helped boost business somewhat, but they still would have had losses, and people still would have been laid off. It still doesn’t change the fact that a new Hogwarts is going to seriously outsell a 2-year old Hogwarts in the current market, and well enough that the extra cost of developing a new version will be reclaimed in short order. Kids have had over two years now to find out about and purchase the original version. If they still don’t own it yet, the company shouldn’t bank it’s future on them all buying it sometime this year. The lifeblood of a toy company is new product.

If it was only 2003 it would be fine however 2003 was just the worst of its mulit year decline. By the end of 2003 there were plenty of toy manufacturers seeing sunny day ahead. The new Hogwarts will take off only due to sales to the same customers. You seem to keep thinking every one knows what you know and thinks what you think. There is a huge market out there that was never made aware of the Lego Harry Potter line and that is where the stagnation came from.

   You arn’t keeping up with current events. With the layoffs at the top of the company they said with no uncertain terms that they were dropping ALL licenced lines as they were not making enough money. The “new” sets like the multi-purple bus and Dora were planed far in advance of that anouncment. Once the licences already paid for expire so do the associated lines.

They never said any such thing.

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=44690 QUOTE:

“profits stagnated because of the higher cost of producing the new products. The company now plans to stop making the electronics and movie tie-in products and return to its core mission: producing colored plastic building blocks for children.”

When they say in their own words: “The company now plans to stop making... ...movie tie-in products” I would think they are going to stop making movie tie in products.

   I run a news site, so I try to keep regular tabs on major press releases like this on general principle, but the instant the future of BIONICLE looked uncertain (despite the fact that it’s the best-selling line in the entire LEGO catalog), you better believe I paid extra close attention to this specific turn of events.

Bionicle has never been in danger but you better watch the news closer.-Ken