 General / 45957
Re: Article text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:48:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ken Nagel wrote:
   Give me a break you can’t compare a $300 collectable to a $90 toy. Every kid wants a Ford Explorer too but they aren’t going to get one. The stores would not have any trouble selling the product if Lego was any good at marketing.

Sets in the $90+ range sell in such small quantities that most stores won’t even stock them, which is why TRU can get away with jacking the price another $10 over MSRP. Comparing a $300 toy to a similar $90 toy is simply a matter of scale. The Blockade Runner sold very well through S@H, but even with an exclusive retail release, it sat on store shelves until Target got nervous enough to clearance it. The Yoda sculpture did well at S@H, and probably about as well in its exclusive retail release as most similarly-priced sets. The more expensive a set is, the less likely it is that every store can sell even one copy, and the more stores that get stuck clearancing their first shipment, the more sense it makes to go exclusive through S@H. Once they sell through a few batches, each store risks having to clearance the next shipment, and they know it. In the end, it’s not what TLC wants to ship that matters so much as what the major store chains want to buy. You can’t put everything on TLC’s shoulders in this one. Stores want product that will sell fast enough to keep ahead of the cost of having that shelf space available, and the original Hogwarts is fading in popularity. They want something new, so they’re getting it.

And, BTW, there has never been a single moment in my life that I would have wanted an Explorer. If I ever get a 4WD vehicle, I’d want one that’s not prone to flipping, which pretty much rules out all SUVs except the H1. And when I was a kid, it was all about having a Testarosa.