 General / 45862
Re: Article text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:47:05 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ken Nagel wrote:
   Load number 2... It’s been tested over and over again that consumers like warmer colors (ie. no blue cast) which is why all the Lego stores use warm lighting. I’d like to know how the room was lit when they tested this as it would drasticly skew the test subjects color perception.

Nah, I doubt it was the lighting so much as the questions they were asking. Warmer colors are more likable and inviting, but cooler colors are, well, cooler; they’re perceived as newer, more high-tech, and exciting. I’m trying to find the post where somebody transcribed the questions from a Lego marketing survey a couple of days ago, but I seem to remember that “coolness” was the overriding factor being measured (Is this toy cooler than your other Lego toys? Is it cooler than your friend’s toys? etc.).

This coolness-worship is probably a result of everyone buying so much Bionicle. Come on, don’t tell me you didn’t know it was wrong.

   She also adds that it would be very expensive for LEGO Company to have bricks in both the old and the new grey colors.

Ok this takes the cake. How stupid do they think we are!?!?!? It would be no more expensive to produce grey and bley than it is to produce bley and pink or any other of the multitude of colors that have come along lately.

The difference being, if you spend the money making bley and pink, the customer sees two separate colors and gets excited. If you spend the money to make bley and gray, 95% of your customers see only one color anyway, so you might as well never have spent the extra money at all. (The same argument is true for replacing Lego ABS with Mega-Bloks-like PVC, which is why I think we’re seeing so many new Lego elements in the substandard-grade plastic lately.)

But I think the production expense is the least of their worries, the biggest hit to Lego’s pocketbook would be the marketing hassle. There’s no easy way to get the average consumer to know that there are two different grays, and to be able to differentiate between them when they’re making their buying decisions. In fact the mere knowledge that there are two incompatible gray colors on the shelf adds enough extra complication to the consumer’s experience, that it acts as a deterrent to them buying Lego at all.