 General / 45926
Re: Article text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:02:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ken Nagel wrote:

   In lugnet.general, Mike Rayhawk wrote: Not at all, she said it would be expensive to “have” both colors. She didn’t mention production either, you just assumed it.

You’re splitting hairs. In order to have them they have to produce them.

In order to have them they have to be able to sell them. I don’t think I’m splitting hairs at all. I was just responding to your accusation that I was reading more into the word “have” than you were, which I still think was not the case.

   However you want to split it does not cost any more to have bley and grey than it does to have bley and (any color). The main point should be that while developing bley has problably cost a small fortune it will not ad anything to the bottom line. It is clear though that even if they think it insignifigant dropping grey will cost them.

I don’t think anybody’s trying to say that bley was a good idea (or even an excusable mistake).

Yes, dropping gray will cost them. I’m just saying that there are good reasons that having both bley and gray might very well cost them more.

In the same way (since you seem to feel more strongly about this than about the actual color change), a continued run of the previous HP Hogwart’s Castle would have made continued sales, maybe even posted good figures. But all the people most excited about it have already bought it, and a continued run takes up a specific amount of shelf space and mindshare that would otherwise be occupied by new products that would sell better. There’s a very limited number of models that the market will support in any category, and it’s in Lego’s best interest to cycle out old products once the blush is off. More of that set would have earned money, but replacing it earns them more money, even accounting for the additional development costs.

Even if there were no color change, they have to recycle their product lines in general, and they have to recycle the HP castle in specific in order to better match the action of whatever we see in the latest movie.

   They should spend more time on the company then and less on cake. I really don’t care how they see fit to do business.

Whether or not you approve or disapprove, I don’t think ignoring reality is going to help your argument. It’s still the Lego company that’s making the colors, and they’re a real place that operates according to real methods. We might not think it’s ideal that they take cake-breaks five times a day, but that’s what we’re stuck with.

(The first Danish phrase they tried to teach me, even before I learned the words for ordering trays of bricks, was “four o’clock! time for cake!” I gave up on trying to buy cake after the first couple tries though, since my poor ability to navigate in a Danish bakery usually resulted in something nasty like chocolate-frosted carrot cake.)

   The fact is that compared to other companies they do a very poor job at marketing. Don’t try to argue that as it’s the reason they are whining about loosing money when the rest of the business world is looking up.

I could argue this point but it’s secondary to the issue. Even if Lego’s marketing department did as poor a job as you suggest, it doesn’t change the fact that the company has to spend money on it.

   And yet still, it would, in a properly run company require no additional marketing to choose between bley & gray for any given model.

I’m not even sure what you’re trying to argue anymore. If Lego’s entire product line consisted of that one model, then sure, but that model is part of a system with other models. When the grays don’t match between models, then consumers get confused and angry; preventing that from happening is a marketing issue. Nobody gets confused when bley doesn’t match with pink.

   are starting over. This would be why they can’t make money on licenced products an this would be why Harry and Luke are (as far as Lego is concerned) DOOMED after this go-around. -Ken

Well Luke is doomed because Lucas is done putting out new Star Wars movies, so that’s the end of the license. I’m not as familiar with the HP side of things so I can’t really speak to that.