 General / 45909
Re: Article text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:32:39 GMT

   She also adds that it would be very expensive for LEGO Company to have bricks in both the old and the new grey colors.

Ok this takes the cake. How stupid do they think we are!?!?!? It would be no more expensive to produce grey and bley than it is to produce bley and pink or any other of the multitude of colors that have come along lately.

The difference being, if you spend the money making bley and pink, the customer sees two separate colors and gets excited. If you spend the money to make bley and gray, 95% of your customers see only one color anyway, so you might as well never have spent the extra money at all. (The same argument is true for replacing Lego ABS with Mega-Bloks-like PVC, which is why I think we’re seeing so many new Lego elements in the substandard-grade plastic lately.)

But I think the production expense is the least of their worries, the biggest hit to Lego’s pocketbook would be the marketing hassle. There’s no easy way to get the average consumer to know that there are two different grays, and to be able to differentiate between them when they’re making their buying decisions. In fact the mere knowledge that there are two incompatible gray colors on the shelf adds enough extra complication to the consumer’s experience, that it acts as a deterrent to them buying Lego at all.

She didn’t mention marketing she said it would be “expensive” to make both colors. Words mean things... don’t try to read into them what’s not there.

There would be no marketing needed. A given model would use the appropriate color and it’s that simple. The Super Chief would look absurd in blue-grey. However bley might make for good castle parts. Some Star Wars models would problably look good with parts in both colors.

They recently had a press release touting record number of Harry Potter castles sold. The most expensive part of this castle is the licencing. They could have sold many many more just adding to the profit. Instead they have to re-number the set. Switch things around a bit to try and make it look “new” and all because of the new color. THAT was expensive!

It seems clear that Lego made a decision, came up with a survay to support that decision, became compleately flustered when it blew up in their face, and now is still looking for ways to explain themselves. -Ken