 General / 45965
Re: Article text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 05:25:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ken Nagel wrote:
   The store only sells merchandise. If it’s not selling then somebody is doing a pretty poor job of marketing it.

That’s not always true. Ever heard of something called the Law of Supply and Demand? Demand has dropped because all of the people who absolutely had to buy it did. Then the people who kinda had to buy it did. Then the people who sorta wanted to buy it did. Finally, people who were holding out until it hit clearance prices did. The market for the original Hogwarts has shrunk dramatically, whether you’re willing to admit it or not. A brand-new Hogwarts will enjoy the benefit of an mostly-unsaturated market. Yes, there will be people who tell their kids that they already have a Hogwarts Castle and don’t need another, but there is no way on earth, short of selling it at reduced price, that the original Hogwarts could possibly outsell a refreshed Hogwarts in 2004.

   Hogwarts was expensive to produce because of the licencing fees.

Yup, the design process for a set of that size, the development of new pieces, and the cost of actually manufacturing it have no bearing on how expensive it was to produce. None whatsoever.

   Instead of selling to the maximum market thus maximizing the profit they are watching it fade in popularity.

So you think that maximizing the profit on a single set makes more sense than maximizing the profit of the company as a whole? Why not switch over to only producing new sets for a given theme every three years? That way you can make sure that every possible customer will have a shot at buying one. Of course, all of the “buy everything” customers will buy 1/3rd as much stuff, but who cares? It’s all about making sure that there’s not one unsatiated customer left on the face of the earth, even if it requires calling every family and asking them if they still need a copy.

   You can can argue this but it’s foolish as by Lego’s own admission they are failures at making a profit with licenced lines.

Show me concrete proof of that statement. Show me where they specifically stated that they can’t make a profit at licensed lines. Star Wars is profitable. Harry Potter is profitable. They’re two of the top five best-selling themes. Spiderman...well, I’m sure it’s bringing in sales, but I’m not sure how many compared to the other two movie licenses (two sets wasn’t enough to hit the Top 5 list for 2002, and I haven’t seen one for 2003). Winnie the Pooh was a bit problematic, but that’s because Disney sold them the rights to produce it when they didn’t actually own said rights to sell. Galidor was a flop, but that’s because the TV show was, not because the sets were designed poorly. Bob the Builder sold well, as Dora the Explorer likely will. The Ferrari sets are drawing a lot of attention already, though some of the NASA sets (the Mars mission sets, in particular) should have been released much closer to the Rover landings.