 General / 45989
Re: Article text
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:57:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh wrote:

"Ken Nagel" <knandjn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:HtwMIE.4CE@lugnet.com...

[ ... snipped ... ]

Nice dissertation however it doesn't hold water. The Harry Potter car had to be
light blue. It the sense of the over all operation it didn't cost them any more
to make it in light blue instead of the original dark blue. Need more? Two words
"Maersk Blue". They can't use it on models made for the public due to licencing
restrictions however they still make it for the model shops.

[ ... snipped ... ]

Maybe but I don't think so.  Over the years there has been speculation that
the use of Maersk Blue was restricted my Maersk, has there ever been any
sort of official statement to the fact?

See this article:  http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=748

From what I understand, the Model Shops can't get Maersk Blue any more
either making it another "retired" color.  Since there isn't any "official"
word on this, it is based on hearsay but IMHO, the introduction of medium
blue is a change in color very similar to the changes made to the greys.
YMMV.

Mike

Hope you don't mind if I chime in on the subject!

The Maersk blue color was made to match exactly the official color of the Maersk
company to use in sets using the Maersk name.

The color was not available to the LEGOLAND modelshops until the Danish park
wanted to make a large airplane for their miniland airport cluster, a Maersk
Seeland airplane that is...

So, they were able to get elements produced in Maersk that were not previously
available in the sets. The Lego people can do this for a small fee for switching
the presses around. This was around the time that models were being produced for
the soon to be opened Windsor and Carlsbad parks. The model builders liked the
option of a different color (at this time the majority of the models being
produced used only 10 basic colors: white, beige, light grey, red, yellow, blue,
brown, black, dark grey, and green).

Since, Maersk blue is the "official" color of the Maersk company, it cannot be
used in any set that can make money for the Lego company, unless it is a Maersk
promotional set. That meant, that any set they would want to produce with a
light blue color would have to a different light blue than Maesrk!

This all happened way before any of the color changes we are dealing with now
took place. The color was officially discontinued once the Maersk promotion was
done (not being in the LEGO color pallet for around 3 years). Model shops were
then allowed to use the remaining stock of brick that had been produced, but
could not get more made as was possible before.

Hope this helps!

Bill