 General / 39847
Re: Coolest LEGO Experience?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 01:14:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jake McKee writes:
Inspired by John's post (http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=39785), I would
love to throw out a question!

What is your coolest LEGO Experience? Maybe you built an amazing castle when
you were eight years old. Or perhaps you've had a more recent experience
like watching an FLL robotics competition where you saw kids participating
in the most thrilling event of their lives. Or maybe you finished the
perfect train car and posted it online.

I would love to hear!

Jake
---

1. I remember going to the Ontario Science Center (in Toronto) when I was
quite young (probably over 20 years ago) and there was a really cool Lego
Space Display lighted up and made into a really awesome Space Diarama.  You
would think that seeing this awesome SPACE display, that I'd be heavily into
LEGO Space.  Alas, I have but a mere couple of Space Sets... Maybe if Lego
puts out some Legend Space Sets I will definitely have to buy them.

2.  I remember going to the CNE, that's the Canadian National (EX)hibition
(in Toronto) in 1988 and they had a giant LEGO display there.  Nice Creations
and a small store you could buy sets there.  I really, REALLY wanted to
get the Emergency Treatment Center to go with my town police station and
town fire station as it was unavailable in my area.  But alas, my parents
didn't have any money for that....  However, I was able to get 2 of them
(and a DACTA Hospital Set) since I started collecting again in 1999.

3.  I was in mid-High School, and decided that I was no longer playing with
Lego so I decided to stop collecting (my first Dark Age).  Then I seen some
really nice harbor sets and a 725 Basic set (the house).  I couldn't resist,
so I bought both the Load N Haul and the Intercoastal SeaPort, and the 725
house.  A couple weeks later, I got the Fire Control Center.  My family
wasn't too impressed....however, I was able to acquire some really nice
sets at the time (in 1993 and 1994).

4a) I had just finished a little over 2 years of military service (in the
US Regular Army).  I had finished Training, and a year in Korea.  I wasn't
looking for a way to spend my money, but I "made the mistake" (wink wink nudge
nudge) of going down the LEGO aisle at Toys R US in Tennessee where I was
stationed at the time.  I seen the Railway Express, and decided to buy it.
I know this is probably the worst train in the 9V Train Line, but it was a
good reason to end my 2nd Dark Age.

4b) A while after getting that first set, I began to surf for Lego-related
sites, and to search E-bay for LEGO.  That only brought the urge worse.
I couldn't believe all the "classic" stuff I could buy there.  I don't
want to say exactly how much I have spent since then, but I might mention
that since then I have increased my collection at least 10-fold.

4c) At the end of 1999, I finally decided to check out LUGNET as a user site.
I had been using it already as it had hosted Pause Magazine's Lists of
Sets from Different Themes, but decided that I wanted to use it as a way to
communicate with other Lego fans.  So in early 2000, I applied for membership.
I think this has made sure I won't go back into another Dark Age (I hope) ;)

4d) In the winter of 2001, I was looking forward to leaving the active duty
Army, and the guys up here in Toronto (which I had never met) were planning
a train show.  This had me really looking forward to meeting up with.
So fast forward to May of 2001 when I finally got out, I drove up to Canada
where I live, and had to design a quick layout (over the weekend) to display.
Needless to say it was quite a bit cheesy, and not very much of it was my
own design, but it made somewhat of a good impression.  Plus, I had an awesome
time.  Since then, I have had a really good time with them up in Toronto
(I live in the Niagara area).

5. July 2002, I went to my first BrickFest and I met a lot of very nice
people, most of which are even more enthusiastic about the brick (if you can
believe that) than I am.  I had an awesome time.  I am really looking forward
to Brickfest 2003 and possibly going to BricksWest hopefully next year.

Ben